Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many contacts?

Options
  • 11-04-2008 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    My sim card can only hold 250 contacts, is there any available that can hold unlimited amounts or at least 1,000 or what would be the best way to go about keeping numbers on the go for business customers etc?

Also, my Sony Ericsson can store tonnes of sent messages, but I'd prefer to have more contacts and less messages if possible?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Why not just store the contacts on your phone instead? You can store thousands on there, especially on the SE phones which have huge internal memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

not that i know of. i've never seen a sim that can hold more than 250 contacts. store them to the phone memory?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

cormie wrote: »
    Hi,
    My sim card can only hold 250 contacts, is there any available that can hold unlimited amounts or at least 1,000 or what would be the best way to go about keeping numbers on the go for business customers etc?

Also, my Sony Ericsson can store tonnes of sent messages, but I'd prefer to have more contacts and less messages if possible?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Ye cannae change the laws of physics. Nothing on the planet has unlimited memory, save possibly Ruu from what I see. :)

Sim cards cost money and are handed out free by the networks. The technology is certainly there for much bigger sims, but I can't see them getting bigger in the forseeable future.

Sorry, can't help on the Sony Erricson, I know symbian phones have a shared memory so its hard to hit the max if thats a help.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thing about storing them on the phone or whatever is if I lose it, I lose all the contact (same could be said about the sim I suppose) but also, if I want to upgrade the phone, how would I get all the contacts to the new phone? I just downloaded that cabbage program for texting so I'm wondering is there any way to upload contacts to the computer and store them there and transfer them to whatever phone and be able to use them wherever? Don't suppose there's something that communicates with cabbage, thunderbird and whatever phone I have:pac:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You can export your contacts to your computer with most phones, I can do it with my SE K750. Export it as a csv which should be readable from most software packages (in case you change brand etc)

• Advertisement

Thing about storing them on the phone or whatever is if I lose it, I lose all the contact (same could be said about the sim I suppose) but also, if I want to upgrade the phone, how would I get all the contacts to the new phone? I just downloaded that cabbage program for texting so I'm wondering is there any way to upload contacts to the computer and store them there and transfer them to whatever phone and be able to use them wherever? Don't suppose there's something that communicates with cabbage, thunderbird and whatever phone I have:pac:

You can upload them to www.zyb.com or I think some of the networks allow you to store them on their websites. You can synch your contacts with outlook and probably thunderbird using the Sony Ericsson pc suite

I never designed cabbage to do anything like that but if you can get your contacts into a file in the format “name,number” with one on each line, they can be imported into it

also, if you get a new phone you could transfer the first 250 contacts to the new phones memory, then delete all the contacts from the sim, put it back in the old phone and copy the remaining contacts to it. basically ferry them across

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Cool thanks for the info :)

Don't suppose there is any online DB that your phone can be constantly connected to, for free, that you get your contact info from? or is that what zyb is?

Cool thanks for the info :)

Don't suppose there is any online DB that your phone can be constantly connected to, for free, that you get your contact info from? or is that what zyb is?

it's not constantly connected to it in that you have to manually start synchronisation but you can get it any time you want. i don't think it's free though, you have to pay gprs charges

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Myphoneexplorer is the business for SE phones, you can backup texts, contacts etc then put the 250 you most want on the SIM if you like, putting others in the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    it's not constantly connected to it in that you have to manually start synchronisation but you can get it any time you want. i don't think it's free though, you have to pay gprs charges

As Sam said, just do a weekly or monthly SYNC with zyb. The zyb service is free, however you will be charged for the data upload/download. Luckily the amount of data transferred is miniscule & therefore so is the cost.
    Hope this helps.

How's the van going?

• Advertisement
Advertisement