Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy diarrhea

Options
  • 11-04-2008 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

can i get advice for a 7 weeks old puppy with diarrhea, the stools are watery.

Her behavior has not changed she is still eating, drinking, playing, etc and not lethargic.

She was wormed at 4 Weeks and has all the shots, I've now got her fasting for 12 hours and going to feed her boiled rice and chicken tonight.

Her food was not changed, royal canin baby dog.

Has anyone come across this before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Is she still with her mother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Or it could be just something she ate, puppies do tend to try everything out. A little fast with plenty of water to get it out of her system followed by a small meal of her normal food should do the trick.

Edit to add: If the problem persists, take her to the vet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

yes in the same pen, but she is not feeding from her now.

Mother is wormed and vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Could be a number of things - i'd do exactly what you have done and if she's still the same tomorrow - straight to the vet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 coisaille

previous poster is right it could be a number of things and might need to be checked out - puppies have a lot of worms though and need to be wormed every two weeks until they are 12 weeks and then every month until 6 months - get a good quality wormer from your vet - hope this helps!

• Advertisement

coisaille wrote: »
    previous poster is right it could be a number of things and might need to be checked out - puppies have a lot of worms though and need to be wormed every two weeks until they are 12 weeks and then every month until 6 months - get a good quality wormer from your vet - hope this helps!

I thought that myself, last night i got a wormer in tescos, I know its not ideal but the vets were closed (it was late at night) and I'm fasting her for 12 hours and restarting her on a diet of boiled rice and chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Take her to see a vet. Also, I would've thought that 7 weeks was too young to have already had all her vaccinations?

Arcadian wrote: »
    Take her to see a vet. Also, I would've thought that 7 weeks was too young to have already had all her vaccinations?

Sorry i meant her 1st shots, she due another batch at 12 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

You should never EVER fast a 7 week old pup for 12 hours, they're far too young, and at huge risk of developing hypoglycaemia. Even prior to surgery, no one would ever request that a dog that young should be fasting. If the problem persists, get her to a vet ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spottykatt

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    You should never EVER fast a 7 week old pup for 12 hours, they're far too young, and at huge risk of developing hypoglycaemia. Even prior to surgery, no one would ever request that a dog that young should be fasting. If the problem persists, get her to a vet ASAP.

Totally true, NEVER EVER fast a 7 week pup and id bring her to your vet straight away

• Advertisement

I re-wormed her again and fed her rice and boiled chicken after a fast and she's back to normal now thanks for all the advice

Advertisement