Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newry

Options
  • 11-04-2008 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

Not really a bargain or a request but how much can be saved bulk buying groceries in Newry with Euro being so strong against Sterling and Republic being a rip off anyway?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

you can do well especially if you are getting drink. curleys off licence beside dunnes do some really good deals as does sainsburys off the motorway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭dfcelt

Weeks shopping in Dunnes & Boots (nappies,wipes etc) for 2 + 2kids comes to about 160 a week.

Bulk buy in Sainsburys came to 100 sterling, almost 2 weeks groceries.
    Basically everything is cheaper, 95% of products are available that you'd normally get plus the fact that they'll stock other goods you can't get down here. No contest really if you live in Dundalk like myself, especially with rate at the mo.

Plenty of specials similar to Dunnes/Tescos.
    Oh, don't forget Semichem across from Boots just outside Sainsburys, toiletries etc. are seriously cheap there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Sainsburys do a lot of 3 for 2 type deals, especially on prepacked meats

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

As already said, Sainsbury's is very good value as is Argos if they have a sale one which they do quite often. I priced a Dremel tool in Blancardstwon SC at €83 and got the very same in Argos Newry for STG£32, quite a saving.
    Added with the M1 motorway running right into Newry you can get there quite quickly form the Dublin area and surrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Bang Bang wrote: »
    Added with the M1 motorway running right into Newry you can get there quite quickly form the Dublin area and surrounds.

Yep, a few weeks ago, I left Dublin 3 at 1:10pm and was parking up in the Buttercrane at 2:30. The motorway not stopping at Dundalk makes a huge difference to a few years ago. I didn't realise I was in the North until I clocked a miles per hours speed limit sign :)

The last leg of the journey (when you go down the hill into Newry proper) can take a while just due to volume (and it's about a 50:50 mix of Northern and Southern reg plates!).

On a motorway, my car averages around 35-40 MPG, and it's around a 150 mile round trip so it's going to use 4 gallons of fuel ~ 18 litres or around €22 worth. I reckon we could save a multiple of this if we did a big enough shop. Not the greenest of shopping trips, I'll grant, but an 8 mile round trip to Clare Hall isn't exactly pollution-free :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Go an extra 10 miles or so to the Outlet centre at banbridge - beside the motorway. About 80 shops M&S, Gap, Nike, timberland, clarks etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

What euro/gbp rate are Sainsburys giving these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

77p yesterday

other shops are giving 80p

watch out for them charging your credit card in euros they add their own commission/markdown on top of crap exchange rate just make sure they put it thru in sterling

toyztore accross the road is giving 15% discount on nursery equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Cheers not that bad.

they add their own commission/markdown on top of crap exchange rate just make sure they put it thru in sterling

instead you get the cc company putting a 1.75% charge on top of their slightly better exchange rate on it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

Debenhams in Newry were offering an exchange rate today of 1 euro = 80.6p. As an example, one item I was looking at had a sticker price of £45 and an IRL price of €70. Availing of the in-store exchange rate would get the item for less than €56 - savings like that are well worth the trip up the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

okidoki987 wrote: »
    What euro/gbp rate are Sainsburys giving these days?
    They always seem to give the lowest, like beolight said 77p, other places were giving 80p, but that said you still save money and get a lot more too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Twiki wrote: »
    Debenhams in Newry were offering an exchange rate today of 1 euro = 80.6p. As an example, one item I was looking at had a sticker price of £45 and an IRL price of €70. Availing of the in-store exchange rate would get the item for less than €56 - savings like that are well worth the trip up the road.
    Jeez, that shows how much we're being ripped off down here. Nice of them to pass on the drop in the value of sterling NOT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Yakuza wrote: »
    The last leg of the journey (when you go down the hill into Newry proper) can take a while just due to volume (and it's about a 50:50 mix of Northern and Southern reg plates!).

Instead of taking the last exit at the roundabout, take the second last and come off at the next roundabout; B&Q and come back up the road which will bring you in the north side of town but more importantly taking a left into Sainsburys - could easily save you half an hour ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 popinfresh101

its well worth going up i seen a tv up there in argos it was 450 gbp down here it was 825 euro what a rip off at the rate they were giveing the tv worked out at 550 euro up there

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Saturdays in Newry have become an two-toned blue ocean of Dublin county Jerseys. Everyone's coppin on there is a fortune to be saved. Living in Dundalk is handy and I usually skip over the back roads of the mountains to come in from Omeath and straight in the backdoor of the Quay's carpark.

Most girls I know too prefer clothes shopping in newry too so couples are everywhere - You see the dudes filling up the trolleys in Sainsbury's while the wimmin are trying on skimpy outfits in A-Wear. And then both catch a movie in the cinema before hittin the highway.

Good system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

Living in county galway Newry sounds great but a wee bit out of my way anywhere nearer to the west good for shopping eg enniskillen,omagh etc?looking for housewares and garden stuff.
    any recommendations?
    thanks
    john

Advertisement