Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating Cats and Dogs?

Options
  • 10-04-2008 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭

:( Folks WARNING (i am not telling anyone to look up what i just saw)

Do other cultures in the world eat dogs & cats on a day to day basis or is it just isolated events?

I just saw horific video footage of dogs and some cats being treated like battery chickens and i am not the better of what i saw :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Must be the PETA video you saw, yes it's heartbreaking and horrifc. I saw it a couple of years ago, and it makes me sick to this day.

China and Korea for example are well known for eating dogs.

But worse than that, they are killed just for their fur in those and other countries. That's what the PETA vid as about. An image that will stay with me forever is seeing one cat in the small cage of about 20 cats licking the fur of another cat out of friendliness. Those cats were on their way to be skinned alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I don't want to be overly flippant about this ...but what is the big difference to us eating battery raised chickens, pigs from intensive farming, etc, etc. ?

Just because WE don't eat cats or dogs, this is abhorrent to us.

Ask a Hindu what he thinks about hamburgers or a Muslim about rashers ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Strong stomach I have but not strong enough for the websites about the dog meat trade in Korea.The one time I was foolish enough to look I saw things that will give me nightmares forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

peasant wrote: »
    I don't want to be overly flippant about this ...but what is the big difference to us eating battery raised chickens, pigs from intensive farming, etc, etc. ?

Ask a Hindu what he thinks about hamburgers or a Muslim about rashers ...

Dogs are intelligent, affectionate, loyal creatures. You can't compare them to battery chickens really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

peasant wrote: »

See what you mean but at least there are rules about how the animals we eat are treated while they are alive and how theyare killed.Trust me on this,the cats and dogs that are in the meat trade in Korea don't have it so good.Terrorising them is supposed to make the meat better.Sorry if I'm overstepping the bounds mods!

• Advertisement

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Dogs are intelligent, affectionate, loyal creatures. You can't compare them to battery chickens really.

Pigs also make great pets.

Don't get me wrong ...I'm not condoning or even belittling this brutality ...but what is the saying about the splinter in your neighbours eye, etc ...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Trust me on this,the cats and dogs that are in the meat trade in Korea don't have it so good.Terrorising them is supposed to make the meat better.Sorry if I'm overstepping the bounds mods!

Yea, they are also known to violently beat the dogs during the slaughter process. Appaerently it increases adreneline flow which is good for the meat. Nasty stuff really

EDIT: Fixed , sorry peasant

Yea, they are also known to violently beat the dogs during the slaughter process. Appaerently it increases adreneline flow which is good for the meat. Nasty stuff really

Can I just clarify that your quote above (Trust me on this....etc) wasn't originally posted by me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That sounds pretty implausible to be honest. It's generally agreed that adrenaline makes the meat less tasty, not more so, which is why hunters try to shoot animals such as deer without chasing them for any distance and why they usually try not to stress cattle and sheep in abattoirs too much, for example by keeping the animals away from the slaughter area until the last minute so they don't hear what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

That sounds horrible - and no, I won't be looking it up online - I don't need those images lodged in my brain.

But given what we know about China's human rights record, its hardly surprising their animal welfare isn't up to much.

I agree though with the posters who point out that its a bit hypocritical to be angry about dogs & cats in China and then not being overly concerned about intensive farming methods here. Pigs are supposed to be just as intelligent as dogs, and their living conditions in sheds are horrific - have you ever seen those pics of nursing sows pinned so they can't move an inch?

Only free range, organic meat for me from now on!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭newbusiness

MsFifers wrote: »

Only free range, organic meat for me from now on!!!

You're still smashing it's brain with a bolt through it's head.

The only difference is you're killing it a little quicker, bit hypocritical having supposedly treated it so well up to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

You're still smashing it's brain with a bolt through it's head.

The only difference is you're killing it a little quicker, bit hypocritical having supposedly treated it so well up to this.

There is nothing hypocritical about that!

What is so terrible about an instant death after a content life? Its what I hope for myself! :D

But we better not get off topic....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

pigs are as intelligent as dogs and in this country and all over the world they are intensivly farmed and nobody has a problem eating pork!!

i say its ok to eat dogs if, like every other animal, they are breed, raised and killed in a humane way.

the way suckling pigs are raised in spain is worse than what the asians do to dogs. we need to sort out our on farming industry before critizing others.

Advertisement