Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEAP Threshold Internal Temperature

Options
  • 10-04-2008 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi, I am doing an assignment on the BER course,
    A question on it is:
    "In the threshold internal temperature (Summer internal temperature section) if there is a normal overhang on the windows (depth : height ratio is 0 : 0) when dark coloured curtains are used on the windows? Is this temperature higher or lower if the Dark coloured curtains are replaced by light coloured curtains?"

I was trying to find the answer for this and I suspect that it might be a trick question and that the temperature will be no different, I found the following when researching this.

Appendix P: Assessment of internal temperature in summer
    This Appendix provides a method for assessing the propensity of a dwelling to have high internal
    temperature in hot weather. It does not provide an estimate of cooling needs. The procedure is not
    integral to DEAP and does not affect the calculated DEAP results or CDER.
    The calculation is related to the factors that contribute to internal temperature: solar gain (taking
    account of orientation, shading and glazing transmission); ventilation (taking account of window
    opening in hot weather), thermal capacity and mean summer temperature for the location of the
    dwelling.

Has anybody any advise on this?

Cheers!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,152 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

what the question is looking for you to do is input a generic BER, then look at what change appears in the internal summer temp section if you change the inputs from dark coloured curtains to light.

the answer is yes BTW... it does rise.

which make sense as dark colours absorb heat, whereas light colours reflect heat.

what the question is looking for you to do is input a generic BER, then look at what change appears in the internal summer temp section if you change the inputs from dark coloured curtains to light.

the answer is yes BTW... it does rise.

which make sense as dark colours absorb heat, whereas light colours reflect heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 -unlaoised-

syd,
    thanks for getting back to me on this. I am in the summer internal temperature section and cannot see where to enter this information as to the type / colour of the curtains. the manual also says that "The procedure is not
    integral to DEAP and does not affect the calculated DEAP results or CDER."

any ideas?

in the building elements section, at the windows section, you are given different choices of internal fittings such as curtains or blinds.

Input light coloured curtains / blinds and then check the 'threshold internal temperature'.....

Then input dark coloured curtains / blinds and check the 'threshold internal temperature' again... you will see that it rises with a dark coloured curtain / blind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 -unlaoised-

Thanks syd.
    do you want to do my next assignment for me?

• Advertisement
Advertisement