Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouth Piece i have to wear at night

Options
  • 10-04-2008 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

I was at the dentist the other day and i have to get a mouth piece to wear at night.

basically i have a serious problem with my jaw and this is supposed to help the pain.

its also supposed to stop me grinding my teeth when im asleep which i didnt even know i do!

anyway i was just wondering if anyone else has had one of these and if they are effective?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Hi I have to wear a "niteguard" @ night to stop me grinding my teeth.

Its thick enough made of kinda hard plastic,grinding is something you dont usually know you do as its subconscious thing,but your dentist will notice damage to your teeth from it.
    Also could save ya money in long run as grinding a lot can loosen/chip fillings which you'l hav to pay to get replaced!

It takes a while to get asleep at night when you first get it but you get used to it after a while...

Good contraceptive too as its not v attractive putting it in before going to sleep :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

cheers suzie! :)

the dentist said that it would also help the pain in m jaw. i hope to god he is right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Not too sure bout jaw pain, know you can get certain splints made for jaw pain etc but mine is basic one for grinding and cheap at €100!

Hope it works for you
    suzie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,033 ✭✭✭✭tk123

i wear one too - picked up my new one last week (€220). I'll post a pic when I get a chance of the old one and the new one so you can see the damage that would have happend to my teeth without it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

A few weeks ago my dentist told me my front teeth were badly scratched and that it happened because some of my bottom teeth are sharp and scratch the top teeth and are grinding into them especially at night. At first i didn't believe him but once i was made aware of it, i actually found it to be true. I never knew it was happenening at all.

He took imprints and a moulding of my teeth and 2weeks later (last thursday) i went to collect my mouth guard. I was there about 25mins to have it fitted as it wasn't clicking into place to the satisfaction of my dentist.

Have to wear it every night ... have yet to speak 1sentence without a speech slur :o .

I only paid 170euros in total for the 2visits, nothing really when the costs of having potential damage to the teeth is added up. Was honestly expecting to pay more and would have too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,033 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Some are harder than others and cost more. It's weird wearing it at first but you'll get used to it after a couple of nights.

tk123 wrote: »
    Some are harder than others and cost more. It's weird wearing it at first but you'll get used to it after a couple of nights.

don't think mine could be any tougher being honest ... my dentist said it will last about 2-3years with my teeth? Is that the average? (I say average as i know it would differ with people)

Yeah i'm getting used to it but the people i live with aren't just yet :o all in good time though, all in good time i hope.

It does help when i get the munchies though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I have one about 9 months now and I still at times have difficulty wearing it at nighttime. It does help with pain in your mouth if you grind your teeth at nightime. I think mine is after causing my wisdom teeth to appear and has moved 1 or 2 of my teeth. It doesnt cover all my teeth like it orignally did. Going back to dentist in next few weeks to see what the story with it is. Not happy :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Night Guards or Occlusal Splints are a common treatment for pain in your Jaw joints or muscles. They are also used if you have had a lot of crowns, bridges or implants and here thay help protect them from grinding or bruxism. There are many types. Soft flexable ones are cheap and comfortable however they are really for short term use only (not a great fan myself). The hard all acrylic ones are more expensive, require more adjustment to make them fit. But are much better and last a hell of a lot longer.

You need to go for your checkups and bring the splint to make sure it still fits proberly and is working as it should within your bite.

• Advertisement

have one but some nights i just totally forget to actually wear it ... I know i have it for a reason and i am aware of the damage being done in the mean-time but can someone tell me of the long-term damage of not wearing it (I mean what if i hadn't gone to the dentist and received one when i did?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

[QUOTE=kerry4sam; can someone tell me of the long-term damage of not wearing it (I mean what if i hadn't gone to the dentist and received one when i did?)[/QUOTE]

check out the picture on the Thread
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055325394

Fitzgeme, are you using NTI's at all?
    Bryan

BryanL wrote: »
    check out the picture on the Thread
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055325394

Fitzgeme, are you using NTI's at all?
    Bryan

alrighty then ... you need say no more; that image is just imprinted now :pac:

Advertisement