Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldfish gulp gulp!

Options
  • 10-04-2008 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.

Excuse the pun, but I took the plunge and got myself two goldfish there at the weekend. They seem fine (well, quite nervous, but they're getting more used to me!) but they seem to come to the surface for air quite a bit? Is this normal?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Have you got them in a bowl or a filtered tank?

If it is a tank:

Did you "cycle" the tank? Do you know about the bacteria needed to break down the waste in the tank?

What size is the tank?

It sounds as though they are gasping for air due to poor water quality. They are probably being poisoned by the Ammonia/Nitrites in the water.

Give us as much details as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭fits

This is a link to a very helpful care sheet for goldfish.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52880548&postcount=27

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Have you got them in a bowl or a filtered tank?

If it is a tank:

Did you "cycle" the tank? Do you know about the bacteria needed to break down the waste in the tank?

What size is the tank?

It sounds as though they are gasping for air due to poor water quality. They are probably being poisoned by the Ammonia/Nitrites in the water.

Give us as much details as possible.

RE: cycling the tank and the bacteria, no I'm not aware... could you please explain them? Its my first time keeping fish.

The tank is roughly 14" x 9", the fish are around 2.5" long.

I used tap water but I put in the water purifier stuff that came with the starter kit. Was this incorrect? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

RE: cycling the tank and the bacteria, no I'm not aware... could you please explain them? Its my first time keeping fish.
    which means getting your tank to establish it self.Usually you dont put any fish in your tank until its ready for fish.heres a link for you
    http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php:D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Thanks guys! Too late to prepare the tank now, but hopefully they will adapt to the tank soon. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

do roughly 50% water changes for the next week every day this will help a bit

have you got a filter?

dbrock wrote: »
    do roughly 50% water changes for the next week every day this will help a bit

have you got a filter?
    50% water changes is a bit too much 10% to 25% is sufficent.

davey180 wrote: »
    50% water changes is a bit too much 10% to 25% is sufficent.

50% isnt to much if he aint got a filter in it

50% isnt to much if he aint got a filter in it
    i really doesnt matter wether its got a filter or not,water changes are the same!

• Advertisement

techically its the same if you wanna think about it like that,,, but if there is no filter how will he cycle the tank?

so you recon a 10 percent water change is sufficent,,, without a filter,,
    fair enough
    not here to argue with you but i recon you def need more giving the size of tank and there are 2 goldfish in it,

techically its the same if you wanna think about it like that,,, but if there is no filter how will he cycle the tank?

so you recon a 10 percent water change is sufficent,,, without a filter,,
    fair enough
    not here to argue with you but i recon you def need more giving the size of tank and there are 2 goldfish in it,
    imo any fish going into tank should have a filter.i dont like argueing either,no i dont think you are argueing with me at all dbrock its the way things go here everyone has a different opinions mate:D so it must be a 10 litre tank we are looking at as
    posted by Jimmy Bottlehead The tank is roughly 14" x 9", the fish are around 2.5" long.
    so 10 litres at 10% water change is 1 litre change.(not much)

Advertisement