Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

medical card people want my car reg cert-why?

Options
  • 10-04-2008 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

I've sent off the stuff to renew my card and they've wrote back wanting a copy of my registration cert for my car.

My income on my p60 is within the limit for the medical card and this is the first time they've ever wrote back looking for that.
    Why would they?

It is a 08 registration alright but I've a loan from the credit union paying for it and I always change every 3 years as I need a good car.
    Theres always a biggish balance on the loan but the repayments are low enough.
    I have a wife and one kid under 18.

Is such a request unusual? Or could they be trying to make a case that I should drop the car if I want the card?

This has me worried.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Possibly because mileage to/from work is taken into account for assessing means. Do you travel long distances to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

TBH, it does sound kinda dodgy that you can afford a 08 car and are still applying for a medical card? Even if you bought the car with a loan, how can you get such a big loan if your income is low enough for a med card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Begob

Shelli wrote: »
    TBH, it does sound kinda dodgy that you can afford a 08 car and are still applying for a medical card? Even if you bought the car with a loan, how can you get such a big loan if your income is low enough for a med card?
    Thats simple.
    I'm in my early 50's,I've been married over 25 years.I built my bungalow myself on a site I got for half nothing,both done with a co council loan now paid off in full.
    I've had a small car loan ongoing for nearly 10 years now,theres about 7k owing on it and thats all I owe as I started out with a new car and kept trading up by continuing the car loan a/c which is now a credit union loan.

The 7k loan is costing me about €25 a week so it's small fry.
    I'm just within the medical card income limit as it stands so legally entitled to it and have had it for over 20 years.

So whats going on in the medical card office? I'm actually wondering if someone who doesn't like me has said something.
    I don't think they have a leg to stand on here.
    What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I dunno, but I've never heard of them asking for that before. I'd call them and ask them why they want it, they have to tell you.

In fact, how would they even know you had a new car unless it was somebody who knew you?

Advertisement