Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 - Data in non-3g service areas ?

Options
  • 10-04-2008 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Hi - I have my phone working with HSDPA for data access (POP3 and IMAP4) to the internet on 3Pay using their 1GB data add-on. What I find is that when I'm in borderline 3G coverage, the handset drops to just the "G" symbol, indicating plain GPRS coverage. I can make calls, but can't get any data.

I think I read here that 3 use Vodafone for fallback coverage? does anyone know if this includes coverage for data service too? - if so, do I need an additional GPRS connection configured on my phone to support it? I have the regular "3ireland.ie" APN set up on one connection. It works fine in 3G areas via HSDPA, but I can't connect to anything in non-3G areas (tries, but then just fails connection).

Thanks in advance,
    -fm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Vodafone only let 3 use their 2/2.5g network, not their 3G or HSPDA network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

i think Voda allow only voice roaming and not data for 3

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ianblyth

3 allow people with their "fraudband" modems to drop gack to gprs through vodafone... but on the normal phone accounts... it dosen't. hope that answers your question. whereas your phone can drop back to use the vodafone voice service but not the full gprs...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ianblyth wrote: »
    3 allow people with their "fraudband" modems to drop gack to gprs through vodafone... but on the normal phone accounts... it dosen't. hope that answers your question. whereas your phone can drop back to use the vodafone voice service but not the full gprs...

that is incorrect:
    1 Mobile Broadband 10GB can be used on 3's HSDPA network only. and cannot be used in connection with voice, text or GPRS services.
    http://three.ie/broadband/paymonthly.htm

neither the phones nor the modems can use data on vodafone's network

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    neither the phones nor the modems can use data on vodafone's network
    I have definately used data on Vodafone when out of Threes coverage, didn't need to change any settings on the phone, didn't get charged anything different for it. I just needed to be a bit more patient with the download speeds.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    I have definately used data on Vodafone when out of Threes coverage, didn't need to change any settings on the phone, didn't get charged anything different for it. I just needed to be a bit more patient with the download speeds.

i've used data with only gprs coverage too. it works sometimes for some reason but doesn't work most of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

I think i was able to send some data on 2G today for a while. no 3G symbol on the phone, might try booting the phone into GSM mode to see if it does anything. using the 1gb prepaid thing

i've used data with only gprs coverage too. it works sometimes for some reason but doesn't work most of the time
    Yes I use data when on vodafones 2.5g network on my 3 phone almost daily, Have a certain nack to it,
    I can check my gmail and websites perfectly like, though I get charged but very little.
    Daily checking of my gmail and the odd site costs me about €1 a month.

towel401 wrote: »
    I think i was able to send some data on 2G today for a while. no 3G symbol on the phone, might try booting the phone into GSM mode to see if it does anything. using the 1gb prepaid thing

yeah that happens quite regularly but it can't be depended on. a few times i had a frustrating few hours trying to get the net to work because i forgot i'd selected gsm only

1huge1 wrote: »
    Yes I use data when on vodafones 2.5g network on my 3 phone almost daily, Have a certain nack to it,
    I can check my gmail and websites perfectly like, though I get charged but very little.
    Daily checking of my gmail and the odd site costs me about €1 a month.

you checking through pop3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I found the same. It works sometimes.

towel401 wrote: »
    you checking through pop3?
    Well if pop3 is the gmail app then yes.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Well if pop3 is the gmail app then yes.

gmail app dunno what protocol that uses but i wouldnt think it uses a lot of data. they say 49c per mb so it makes sense

Advertisement