Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rich

• 10-04-2008 4:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have a computer science degree and basically I am looking to make a lot of money ( if possible :) )

What would be the best path to do this. I will consider any jobs in the IT area.

I know this isnt the worlds greatest attitude but hey money's fun.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Try this.

Alternatively I guess you need to start small and then move your way up as soon as you can. Get your foot in the door somewhere. Ask your college if they can recommend any programmes for recent graduates or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

You'll never get rich by working 9 - 5.

Start an online business, and work on it part-time while you have a normal day job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

dublindude wrote: »
    You'll never get rich by working 9 - 5.

AMEN to that.

Well OP, sorry to be a party pooper but very few graduates ever land jobs which
    would pay the big bucks (no matter the qualification).
    Fair play you have your Degree, thats the industry standard these days(well actually a 2.1 or better is the general standard for the decent jobs).

Having the "I'll do anything in IT" attitude will do you no favors either. To make the good money, you need to become a subject matter expert on a particular area, know more then anybody on that subject in the building e.t.c.
    This will require extra learning/exams/masters!

The reality of the situation now is that unless you've the practical experience required to command a decent salary in a field a company will pay you whatever they want and if you dont accept there will be 500 more people behind you with the same piece of paper willing to work their way up!

There really isnt a quick fix (bar el lotto)!

IMO, hard work and experience are the most valuable qualities in an employee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

marry a rich english man

seriously most people who have made it big didn't get into it because of only the money, they had a great beer coaster idea and believed people would need it. If your interest is only money then become a stock broker I guess. Otherwise, get a few of your college buddies together and start hammering out some business plans and ideas.

You could start by making a log of things you do every day and then start thinking of ways you could make any one of those steps faster or easier. This could be a website that would replace a couple of ones you already use or it could be a real world invention that you know people could not live without.

If you have passion for your job the money will follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Get some experience and go contracting (in the UK or somewhere with decent rates). The future isn't looking the best at the moment, so if you already have a full time IT job, stay with the company, but try to get experience of a number of different types of roles. You can talk these up if you need to later. £300 a day wouldn't be unusual in the uk for someone with little enough experience (thats £1500 a week, and for a 40 week year 60k in sterling). Some contracts offer £450-550 a day if you are lucky and are experienced. [Its not all sunny of course, you have to work hard to put yourself in a position to get a contracting job, and you are often treated badly and have little continuity of employment].

Try plugging your skills into jobserve and see what's available.

Advertisement