Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bit of help please - Forestry idea

Options
  • 10-04-2008 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi there,

I'm hoping that someone amongst you here may be able to help. I've had a good read through previous threads and the forestry links but can't find an answer.

I want to purchase a small amount of forestry land (5-10 acres) and rent it out. Location would be Co. Clare.

Two questions

1. Is it as simple as ringing up Coillte and offering the land, or is there more to it than that?

2. What are the chances of getting (planning) permission to build a small cabin on the land. Not a home, just for occasional use when I want to go and admire my forest and do a bit of fishing.

All very idyllic, I know, but is it as simple as that? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Try this galway lot if you are serious and have a decent budget:

http://www.woodland.ie/properties_for_sale.htm

have a look at this:

http://www.coillte.ie/businesses/land_development/property_management_policy/

and ring coillte.

Or else google

woodland for sale ireland

nothing wrong with a dream..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Searlait

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Unless there is a pre-existing dwelling on the woodland (which could be redeveloped), you will have difficulty in getting planning permission to erect a permanent structure. Depending on the nature of whatever structure you erect, it could also impact on both future and previous aid (presuming the forestry was grant aided), and may result in a repayment to the Department.

Get professional advice on this- its not as straight forward as you might imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 bradaun

I'd go for a 12 acre plot as that is the minimum for afforestation grant. If the cabin has no foundations you should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

You could check out your local Teagasc office,they will give you the information on grants available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement