Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic violence calls

Options
  • 09-04-2008 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Operational question for serving AGS and PSNI members; what are your protocols when attending these calls? Is there a proactive arrest policy in place for domestic violence calls where you are?

In London in attending a domestic call the paperwork will be the same if its a verbal argument or a physical assault.

If injuries are visible on either party, regardless of whether an allegation is made, an arrest will be effected. I've done this even in circumstances wherein the victim has pleaded with me not to arrest the suspect as the positive arrest police kicks in.

Ordinarily we are required to ring the DV unit whilst in attendance and advise them of what we have so they can risk assess the job and advise. This in itself is a tad annoying as is the fact that we still do the same paperwork for an argument where no one gets arrested as we do in an assault case where one party gets nicked but the other refuses to substantiate. If there are kids present in the address then the paperwork increases threefold.

How does it work for Garda/PSNI?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

We always check if an order is in place, then we take a statement from the I/P and arrest the offender (usually male). Most times the I/P will not make a statement or withdraw the statement which is frustrating.

If we find both parties or even just one party is drunk or if the house/room has been trashed during the fight and feel there is a danger to kids then we take them. Not a nice thing to have to do.

In either case a report is sent to the HSE on the kids and they investigate whether they are in danger or not.

Advertisement