Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the leaving cert the most stresful period of your life???

Options
  • 09-04-2008 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

^^^

I really don't think it's been that bad so far and we're getting fairly close to the exams.. Just wondering did people find it really stressful?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

..yes.. but then I went to college and had crazy deadlines and essays longer than all of 6th years essays combined! :eek: It's good that you're not freaking out. There is really no need to, it is not as important as you are led to believe. There are always more options available! :)

Good Luck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭eclectictrek

I think it was more the pressure other people put on you...Depending on who your surrounded by and how these people treat it (Parents, Teachers etc) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I found it fairly stressful, not too bad though. Saying that, it was still the most stressful time of my life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

no - i didnt take part in the whole study thing i just paid a little bit of attention and drank allot. I always had a good chuckle at those that got freaked out by the whole thing. When iwas in 6th year i was hoping someone would push the,selves too far and have a breakdown.

Also when people kill themselves because of junior cert/leaving cert its the fualt of every student that studys, the fault of ever teacher/parent that lies to them about how important it is (oh and no offensive but it can also be the persons fault for killing themselves..)

The education system is flawed and so is any person who partakes/suuports it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nah not really. I was fairly well prepared so took the weight off my shoulders a bit. My parents expected me to do well though as my two brothers before me didn't do so well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭eclectictrek

MizzLolly wrote: »
    ..yes.. but then I went to college and had crazy deadlines and essays longer than all of 6th years essays combined!

I hear ya!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I think it was more the pressure other people put on you...

yup. i agree with this. workloads been a lot heavier in college this final year but it hasn't gotten to me near as much as i let the leaving cert.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

At the time, maybe but it pales into insignificance shortly afterwards.

Wait till you try and get a mortgage... no... enjoy your life first while you still can.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

One of them, was pretty intense for the last few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Nope.

Did a few weeks good studying beforehand and did alright.

No real pressure though as I wasn't aiming for any set amount of points as I had no intention of going to college for a good few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Rank these in order of stress:

1. Leaving Cert
    2. Death of parent
    3. Death of friend
    4. Death of sibling
    5. Losing job
    6. Arrested
    7. Relationship failure
    8. Depression
    9. Drug addiction
    10. Loss of direction

Now, a lot of these happen to the average person, some of them to everyone.

The leaving cert is a bunch of exams, important exams, but still just exams.

They don't decide your future, as much as your school wants you to believe that.

In fact, your results probably matter more to your teachers in terms of performance bonuses than, long term, they will to you.

As Morrissey once sang "Do your best and don't worry" ('Southpaw Grammar', 1995)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

The Leaving Cert should have been the most stressful period of my life

--To Curtis, speaking from experience and I can't answer some of them, it goes a lil something like this

3, 8, 9, 10, 7, 5, 6, 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

No not really. College was worse, especially the final year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Whatever you do don't do what i did and keep telling yourself, you're going to study the next night, you'll almost never get back to it and before you know it the L.C will be over

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Looking back, both 3rd and 6th year were the most enjoyable school years I had. At the time I was a bit stressed, but only with some subjects, and only because I didn't really study until about 3 weeks before the Leaving. I was surprisingly calm considering I had all my exams one after another and was finished as early as you could finish in my school.

I think it makes a difference if you're going for a course with high points (relative to what you can achieve). A few people in my class wanted medicine and put themselves under so much pressure so were stressed, whereas I wanted Arts and knew I could get a hell of a lot more points so I wasn't that bothered.

College is a lot more stressful at times (not Arts! My post grad is though!) but I think once you get to college you tend to not let it get to you as much, unless you really fall behind.

So the Leaving probably was stressful at the time, but I barely remember it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

No stress here... although I never bothered with the whole studying thing either.

Work is stressful by times though. Huge responsibility sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I did my Leaving Cert last June, and tbh I was my own worst enemy! All the stress/pressure I felt came from me!
    My parents just said "do your best" - in fairness they didn't put any pressure on me. I just set high expectations for myself. Having said that, I got through it unscathed!:)
    The most nerves I felt were my Orals and the first few exams. Once you've Englsih, Irish and Maths out of the way, there's so much relief!!:)
    It shouldn't be too stressful as long as you don't start panicking and allowing the nerves to take over.
    Personally, I've found 1st Year of college a lot more stressful, but most people in my course are extremely relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Work is stressful by times though. Huge responsibility sucks.

But worth it for the huge power though?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Creature wrote: »
    But worth it for the huge power though?

Oh sure... except when your web shooters don't work...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

moved from AH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

User45701 wrote: »
    no - i didnt take part in the whole study thing i just paid a little bit of attention and drank allot. I always had a good chuckle at those that got freaked out by the whole thing. When iwas in 6th year i was hoping someone would push the,selves too far and have a breakdown.
    QFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Nope. In my experience the people who were freaking out, stressed etc continued to be that way all through college. Leaving Cert was a grand year actually looking at what followed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

College has proved to be a lot more stressful than the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Didn't really get stressed about it at all, but then I didnt really need to put any work into it to get my college course. Remember kids, aim low and you wont be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Yes. Primarily becuase I'm a crammer, and I was aiming for medicine. Constant pressure from parents didn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    QFT.
    I second that

Anyway I've my leaving in 6 or so weeks time, pressure getting worse and worse by the day, feel I could be doing a lot more...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Wait until you actually do your exams, its the biggest anticlimax ever. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Rank these in order of stress:

1. Leaving Cert
    2. Death of parent
    3. Death of friend
    4. Death of sibling
    5. Losing job
    6. Arrested
    7. Relationship failure
    8. Depression
    9. Drug addiction
    10. Loss of direction

1. Arrested
    2. Relationship failure
    3. Drug addiction
    4. Depression
    5. Losing job
    6. Leaving Cert
    7. Death of parent
    8. Death of sibling
    9. Death of friend
    10. Loss of direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Yes, pressure put on by neighbours & busy bodies made it the most stressful period yet & I've had break-ups, suicides, deaths...Probably because I was young & the best was expected of me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Found college MUCH easier, no media hype & nobody ever knew when I'd exams etc. All I can say is, pace yourself & just do your best.

Advertisement