Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours dog soiling my garden

Options
  • 09-04-2008 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

We have new neighbours who have a 4 year old large friendly dog.

The dog can easily hop over the dividing wall and come into our garden.
    This is not too bad as he is friendly and my kids like her.

However, today the nice doggy shat in the garden.

My wife does not know this but will not be happy!

My question:

Will the neighbours be able to train their dog not to sh1t in my garden?

Any other thoughts from anybody?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

A dog is going to sh!t as far from its own territory as it can.
    If thats your garden then he`ll keep doing it.

My advice--Build your wall higher--I doubt your neighbours will be able to train a 4 year old dog where to poo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If you do not want dogs to use your garden as a loo - increase the hight of the dividing wall/fence!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭racram

This is probably silly but I often see clear 2 litre bottles full of water lying in gardens. Don't know if they work but they're suppose to de tare dogs from using the garden as a loo?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

...on the other hand .. you are seemingly happy for the dog to come over and play with your kids sometimes.

So just clean it up and don't make a fuss about it.
    Dogs go whenever they need to go, no matter where they are (except for inside, when properly trained)

A higher wall and exclusion of the dog may result in crying kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

If you catch him in the act, go outside and correct him loudly. If your able to handle him grab his collar and place his nose almost into it.He will then associate you getting mad at him and his crap as a bad thing to do and will stop from then on. i had a problem with my dog doing that next door and after i did that he stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

stevoman wrote: »
    If you catch him in the act, go outside and correct him loudly. If your able to handle him grab his collar and place his nose almost into it.He will then associate you getting mad at him and his crap as a bad thing to do and will stop from then on. i had a problem with my dog doing that next door and after i did that he stopped.

I wouldn't advise that.

You could maybe do this to your own dog ...but not to somebody elses.

Never mind the owners, the dog might also take objection to being corrected / manhandled by a stranger and let you know about it.

It might end in tears (and not the children's ones this time)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

I am the OP!

I spoke with the dog owner and they intend putting some form of wire which will prevent the dog climbing over the wall. That should be the end of it - all very civilised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

It's a shame the dogs fun will be ended, there isn't much harm in him garden hopping as long as the neighbours (i.e. you) don't mind and as long as he wasn't allowed to wander anywhere else. Could you not just clean it up, I doubt he'd do it every day. *shrug* He might be lonely especially if his owners don't bother with him much and he might just be looking for some company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

peasant wrote: »
    I wouldn't advise that.

Never mind the owners, the dog might also take objection to being corrected / manhandled by a stranger and let you know about it.

True, i just meant on the basis that if they knew the dog very well enough to trust handling him. Anyways all sorted now..... To the next problem.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Shoving a dogs nose in its own mess is an old wives tale.
    OP did the right thing and talked to the neighbour first, its nice to know some dog owners will listen to their neighbours when they complain about their dog,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

dewsbury wrote: »
    I am the OP!

I spoke with the dog owner and they intend putting some form of wire which will prevent the dog climbing over the wall. That should be the end of it - all very civilised.

Good for you! Think you did the right thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

peasant wrote: »
    I wouldn't advise that.

My Granddads neighbour tried to do that to his GSD, did he get a shock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Bond-007 wrote: »
    If you do not want dogs to use your garden as a loo - increase the hight of the dividing wall/fence!

Sod that, why should a person go to the expense of increasing the height of their fence etc. Talk to the neighbours about containing their dog.....

Advertisement