Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

westie jaw????

Options
  • 09-04-2008 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

hi all
    my georgous 4 month old westie has a condition called westie jaw does anyone have a westie with this condition and how are their dogs now ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Is that a recent picture, he/she looks very small for four months.

I have one the same age, what exactly is the condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Don't have a westie with it, but have treated one. Westie jaw, Lion Jaw or Craniomandibular Osteopthy, is increased growth of the lower jaw. It is treatable, and can be controlled with anti-inflammatory drugs. Sometimes they will need to go on a long course of these steroids. And it can be very painful too. Fingers crossed for your little friend.

We had some good results with puppies, but, and i hate to say, sometimes the treatment doesn't work. You have to be willing to do what it takes.

Is your puppy insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scatty

hi huggles photo is about 4 weeks old , my pup is called alfie he is now 4 months old .Alfie is in a lot of pain i thought he was teething i took him to the vets who told me about westie jaw it is an excessive/abnormal growth of the skull and jaw the abnormal growth should stop and regress by one year of age in severe cases the excessive growth may prevent the jaw from opening and closing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

poor alfie, I hope he can be treated and have him back to normal again. :) I've never heard of it and I have a westie! a bit OT but my westie has exactly the same bed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scatty

hi jules ,no pet insurance i was in the process of applying doubt if they will do it now !!! it doesn't matter alfie is such a big part of our family now and i would do anything to take away his pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

scatty wrote: »
    hi huggles photo is about 4 weeks old , my pup is called alfie he is now 4 months old .Alfie is in a lot of pain i thought he was teething i took him to the vets who told me about westie jaw it is an excessive/abnormal growth of the skull and jaw the abnormal growth should stop and regress by one year of age in severe cases the excessive growth may prevent the jaw from opening and closing

Really sorry to hear about poor Alfie. Hopefully he will respond and will improve. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ceady

scatty wrote: »
    hi all
    my georgous 4 month old westie has a condition called westie jaw does anyone have a westie with this condition and how are their dogs now ??

My westie daisy has the same problem she has been on anti inflammatorys for the past month. Some days she is full of beans and some days she moaps around like a lost soul. Taking her back next week to the vet keep you posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just to point out this thread is 3 years old so the likelyhood of the OP coming back is slim. I'll leave this thread open though because others may have helpful tips or experiences.

Advertisement