Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day three

Options
  • 09-04-2008 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

HI all, had my last smoke (hopefully forever) on Sunday night, so today is my third day off them. Just want to know when does it get easier? I find it not too bad during the day but the evenings are long and i keep picking, have nuts and fruit to hand so its not too bad. Will it start getting easier or its it diifficult for a while? Some people say after three days its easier and others say the oposite!!! Any one any advice from experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

kim_eire wrote: »
    HI all, had my last smoke (hopefully forever) on Sunday night, so today is my third day off them. Just want to know when does it get easier? I find it not too bad during the day but the evenings are long and i keep picking, have nuts and fruit to hand so its not too bad. Will it start getting easier or its it diifficult for a while? Some people say after three days its easier and others say the oposite!!! Any one any advice from experience?

Will definetely start to get easier after the first week or so but that may not be the same for everyone - just my experience. One thing to beware of, when it starts to get easier do not fall into the trap of thinking that you have done it, there will be days even further down the road when it can get really difficult but it will pass believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭kim_eire

thanks for that, taking every day as it comes, would love to fast forward to a couple of months down the line and be an ex- smoker!!!!

At the start you will be counting the days that you are an ex-smoker but gradually that will change and you will count it in terms of weeks and eventually then in terms of months. That I find is a great source of motivation - eg. going from six months to seven months. After a while it will no longer be the most important thing in your life ie. how many days/weeks am I an non-smoker and gradually other things will become more important.Best advice is just to take it one day at a time and dont get to far ahead of yourself.

Into week two now- day 8, its great! The weekend was the hardest but the more days i do the more determained i get!!!

kim_eire wrote: »
    Into week two now- day 8, its great! The weekend was the hardest but the more days i do the more determained i get!!!

Thats exactly the way I looked at it - keep it up

• Advertisement

Thanks trek climber, it gets easier, on day 11 now and i have no problems during the week, the weekends are toughtbut i'll just plans loads of stuff to do where der are no smokers! How long have you been off them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Kim/Trek,

You should use the calculator on www.stopsmoking.ie, I found it good to keep the motivation up. It's amazing to see how many u haven't smoked and how much money you've saved.

Hi NC6000! You quit 3 weeks, 3 days, 20 hours, 13 minutes & 59 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 621 cigs, saved EUR 231 and added 2.16 days to your life.

Hi Kim_eire! You quit 2 weeks, 10 hours, 32 minutes & 0 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 288 cigs, saved EUR 108 and added 1.00 days to your life.

thanks NC6000, how are you finding it?? Someone was telling me it gets a lot easier after the three week mark??! Im not craving ciggies most of the time but my 'moods' are suposedly brutal!!!

I'm not finding it too bad, it seems to get a bit easier as you go. I don't think that much about it anymore.

How are you getting on?

getttin on ok the weekends are hard tho! suppose the longer i dont smoke for the easier it will get!!

• Advertisement

nc6000 wrote: »
    Kim/Trek,

You should use the calculator on www.stopsmoking.ie, I found it good to keep the motivation up. It's amazing to see how many u haven't smoked and how much money you've saved.

Hi NC6000! You quit 3 weeks, 3 days, 20 hours, 13 minutes & 59 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 621 cigs, saved EUR 231 and added 2.16 days to your life.

I have just found out that I have saved 1684 euro and added 2.21 weeks to my life - cant think of better motivation than that

I have just found out that I have saved 1684 euro and added 2.21 weeks to my life - cant think of better motivation than that

How long are you off them trek?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi kim_eire

Allen Carr (of 'easy way to stop') makes the following crucial points...

1- There is no magic moment... in other words you are already a non-smoker. Don't sit around waiting for something to happen, nothing further is going to happen, you have given up the filthy things, you are now free.

There is no such thing as a single cigarette, it is an addiction and it is a chain, one cigarette sets you up to smoke the next, you must break the chain.

There are no withdrawal symptoms, they are all in the mind, be happy that you no longer need to poison yourself.

You have done it now, rejoice in the fact that you are a non smoker.

I am off them 10 days as I write this, from 20 a day for 15 years... no problem, I was addicted, I am amazed at how easy it is, there is no point to smoking, it is a waste of time, health, happiness, money and contentment. A smoker is never content as he is addicted, his brain is on edge and constantly wants a hit.

Get Allen Carr if you haven't already, pay attention to it, read it several times, it is the truth!

Cheers
    Joe

Hi Joe! You quit 1 week, 3 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes & 58 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 218 cigs, saved EUR 81 and added 18.17 hours to your life.

There are no disadvantages... I am happier, healthier, nicotine will be gone from my body in about 11 days more... better skin, sex life, smell, taste... no cough, momre money, not a slave, no discomfort on planes, in cinemas, not wishing for enjoyable meals etc to end so I can get outside to kill myself slowly.. I have made the right decision. (obviously)

(Remember: There are no advantages to smoking, none)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ciakee

Hey all! Thought I'd jump on the band wagon and say that being a non-smoker now is honestly the best thing that has happened to me! I totally agree with JoeBallantine....if you haven't read Allan Carr's book, it's well worth it. It just gives you that extra bit of confidence you need to realise you nether want to or need to smoke. In fact I realised that every time I said I didn't want to quit because I enjoyed smoking, I was only trying to kid myself and it's been plain sailing ever since!!

To be fair how many people have used that reason over and over again when in reality if you truly look at the situation logically who in their right minds would enjoy inhaling poison and carcinogenic tars into their lungs 20 times a day, out in the cold and rain, damaging their health and paying through the nose to do it all?! When I think back now I doubt that there was ever a time that I actually enjoyed smoking a cigarette, or felt better after smoking one! It was all in my head, I kept telling myself I did purely so that I could say "I enjoy smoking"

It's actually much easier than I thought it would be and if I can do it anyone can....I used to smoke at every available minute!! If I've any advice to give to someone thinking about stopping.....just remember there's nothing enjoyable about smoking! Nothing wahtsoever, soooo the next time you feel like you might "want" a cigarette....remember you don't, noone does. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barkingmadlolly

Hi,

Thought I would also jump on this bandwagon. Quit smoking, day 3 now, read Allen Carr after reading great things about him on here. Its been an awful lot easier than I had thought, I was expecting the worst but I already feel so much better. Just have to keep myself distracted when I get a craving and be positive that I do not need to smoke.

To all quitting, keep up the good work!!!

Hi Kim_eire! You quit 1 month, 12 hours, 24 minutes & 44 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 610 cigs, saved EUR 229 and added 2.12 days to your life.

It does get easier, but saying that sometimes the thought of them creeps up on me!!! still off them over a month!! didnt think i would get this far and i intend to stay off them!!! thanks everyone and good luck wit giving up!!

nc6000 wrote: »
    How long are you off them trek?

Nearly eight and a half months.... it is the longest I have been a non-smoker for the last twenty years.
    My message is - dont ever lose heart, it can be beaten !!

It gets easier, thats for sure!!!

Hi Kim_eire! You quit 1 month, 2 weeks, 14 hours, 10 minutes & 5 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 891 cigs, saved EUR 334 and added 3.09 days to your life.

Advertisement