Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson W580i Serious Problems Cracking Buttons?

Options
  • 09-04-2008 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I bought a Sony Ericson W580i two months ago from meteor. In that short space of time, two of the buttons have cracked vertically down the centre. I brought it back to Meteor who are repairing it.

Having done a bit of research on it, I found that it was actually a VERY common problem with this phone (even though teh meteor guy said he'd never heard of it before).
    Anybody else had this problem with this phone?

I'm going to accept the repair job and hope for the best. But if it breaks again, I'll be looking for a new, different phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

the first batch had bad buttons so se opted tofix them under warranty. I've seen loads like that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

the first batch had bad buttons so se opted tofix them under warranty. I've seen loads like that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I had read it was a common problem with the w580i so I avoided getting it thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Well, if only I had done the research before buying the phone!!!

Hopefully they'll put reinforced buttons in it this time and all will be ok. I'm pretty p**sed off with Meteor to be honest. I went in to buy that phone on prepay two months back and they were "all out" and didn't know when they would ever get them back in (if ever!!!), but they did try to sell me a contract version of the phone.
    The very next day, meteor launched a huge advertising scheme focussing on this phone. Went in a few days later and they had loads of them on prepay. Now you cant tell me that that salesperson didnt know that promotion and those phones were about to arrive!! Chancers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Hopefully they'll put reinforced buttons in it this time and all will be ok. I'm pretty p**sed off with Meteor to be honest. I went in to buy that phone on prepay two months back and they were "all out" and didn't know when they would ever get them back in (if ever!!!), but they did try to sell me a contract version of the phone.
    The very next day, meteor launched a huge advertising scheme focussing on this phone. Went in a few days later and they had loads of them on prepay. Now you cant tell me that that salesperson didnt know that promotion and those phones were about to arrive!! Chancers!

That issue seemed to effect the first batch of production runs. Cracked keys will be replaced under warranty. I'm not sure who's fault it was, be it SE or Sigma telecom, but in the run up to xmas we were given dates for the arrival of the w580 on prepay that kept getting pushed further and further back.

I can tell you that the salespeople don't know in alot of cases when things will arrive, I've worked for two mobile retailers in two prominent stores (an o2 experience and i'm not saying the current one) and you can get notice of a few days of a handset launching. Now you'll know generally that its coming out but the specifics are sheilded from the "little people" on the shop floor.

Yes, there was a period of time when the only w580's available were on billpay - because meteor didn't have enough to go around, so it was logical for them to assign them to a more profitable and demanding sector of the market rather than prepay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I can tell you quite definitely that Meteor staff don't know when stock is coming in. There were massive shortages between November and Feburary, and they didn't improve until about 4 weeks ago really.

Advertisement