Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL HDMI DVD Player for E59.99 from Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭16hill16

Does anyone know what make & model this player is ?
    or even better know what it's specification is ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Presume it doesn't actually play HDDVDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Does the USB 2.0 port support playback of divx or is it just for pics/music?

Do the card readers support divx playback and is it any good?

What is the max size USB or eg. SD card the player supports? Usually the card reader doesn't support more than 2gb :(

Does this player support QPEL/GMC Divx?

Final question...

Is this an inferior player to ALDI's Divx DVD player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

TheDriver wrote: »
    Presume it doesn't actually play HDDVDs?

Correct. It upscales standard DVDs to a higher res and plays them over HDMI. Also, I think someone tried a 720p HDTV rip in divx format on one of these previously, and it also failed. So no HD playing capability at all.
    Does the USB 2.0 port support playback of divx or is it just for pics/music?

Normally they do play video, yes.
    Do the card readers support divx playback and is it any good?
    Again, usually yes.
    What is the max size USB or eg. SD card the player supports? Usually the card reader doesn't support more than 2gb
    No idea on the card reader, but a friend has one of these from about a year ago that reads up to 120G hard disks through USB anyway. The only issue with it is the port didn't provide enough power for some disks. One disk, a WD Passport 120G wouldn't run off it, without an external power supply, but a 60G Freecom Traveller did work.
    Does this player support QPEL/GMC Divx?
    Don't know.
    Final question...

Is this an inferior player to ALDI's Divx DVD player?

My brother in law also has one of these, from about a year ago too, and his is a crap DVD player. It's slow, stops reading the disc often, the USB port is dodgy, stops playing in the middle of video, etc.

I have a Tevion one from Aldi, got it over 2 years ago, that has USB too. It's a pretty decent DVD player, though I've noticed it giving problems reading discs recently. The SUB on this is good though, never had any problems playing any file types. Reading from USB memory sticks is fine, from a hard disc can be problematic during fast moving sequences in the video though. I think it's a data transfer speed problem, the video tends to skip and jump if there is a lot changing on screen. The same video will play fine from a memory stick (a good fast one that is) or from a DVD/CD, so it's not a codec problem on the player, but maybe a hard disc data transfer speed issue.

These are normally not region free out of the box, but there's usually a code on videohelp.com to change the default region.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Got one of these the last time it was out.

I have an external 120gb hard drive hooked up to it, has its own power supply. takes a couple of minutes to read it but once it loads it will play anything, Divx/Xvid/Mpeg

Last time got a free HDMI cable in the box for the same price, didnt know until I saw the box so I presume this one will be the same.

Good Value I reckon.

B~

Oh, and by the way the hard drive or usb device must be formatted to FAT32 in order to play the files. I used an app called Swissknife to format the 120gb drive. I had another 320gb drive that would not work on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭16hill16

bazual
    Did u get your player from lidl ?
    If so can you remember the type / model number ?
    Thanks

16hill16 wrote: »
    bazual
    Did u get your player from lidl ?
    If so can you remember the type / model number ?
    Thanks

Yup, I got it from lidl, it was a black HDMI one, will
    look at the model number when i get home and send it on.
    I'd say i got it about a year ago there was a 32" LCD at the same time and people were buying both. They were snapped up pretty early if i remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=333552

That's a far better device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Anyone got a regionfree code for this?

livEwirE wrote: »
    Anyone got a regionfree code for this?

From what i remember, I think you open the tray.
    Then enter 9999

and that should be it, that is if its same as the older models.

B~

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

TVDX wrote: »

It doesn't have USB

Advertisement