Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet 3G modem

Options
  • 08-04-2008 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

does such a thing exist? I know someone who knows someone who knows someone with a company laptop filled with annoying restrictions that would prevent them from installing drivers for the USB modems. wifi / ethernet works fine though. bluetooth probably won't work either

anything i found so far is either an American UMTS modem for American UMTS or one of those routers that requires a PCMCIA card, but these + the card are a bit spensive.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

cheap soloution is an old laptop or embedded pc (i used a toshiba libretto 70) with a pcmcia card installed and an ethernet adapter, then configure a proxy server or create a gateway under linux

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

towel401 wrote: »
    does such a thing exist? I know someone who knows someone who knows someone with a company laptop filled with annoying restrictions that would prevent them from installing drivers for the USB modems. wifi / ethernet works fine though. bluetooth probably won't work either

anything i found so far is either an American UMTS modem for American UMTS or one of those routers that requires a PCMCIA card, but these + the card are a bit spensive.

Linksys have a unit that is tied to the Vodafone PCMCIA card, I have installed a few for customers who cannot get ADSL and needed faster web access in their offices

Also Draytek do a router that uses the usb 3g modems, have installed them for a client on O2 and they work well.

Also there is software available that turns 3G WM and Symbian phones into Access Points

Advertisement