Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions on the HTC TyTn

Options
  • 08-04-2008 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭

I've a couple of questions on the original HTC TyTn for anyone that has one.

Can the "click" noise that seems to be made when the stylus contacts the screen be turned off ? Similarly, is the keyboards "clicky" ?

What's the default browser like ?

Could you browse using just your finger/keyboard or do you need the stylus ?

What's it like to use as a regular phone ?

Thanks a lot for any answers peeps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

long_b wrote: »

Can the "click" noise that seems to be made when the stylus contacts the screen be turned off ? Similarly, is the keyboards "clicky" ?

What's the default browser like ?

Could you browse using just your finger/keyboard or do you need the stylus ?

What's it like to use as a regular phone ?

Thanks a lot for any answers peeps.

yes, click sound can be turned off.
    Screen's not "clicky" - I think... What do you mean?
    It's great as a normal phone!
    No, you can not use the browser with your fingers!
    Default browser is windows pocket IE, and it's a mixed bag:
    plenty of features, and shows pages quite correctly, but you'd want to get a 3rd party add on called PIE Plus. It plugs into the browser and adds tabbed browsing. It also allows you to scroll left/right/up/down with your fingers...and a host of other feature!!! PIE plus is NOT free and costs as much as opera's mobile browser...so you should try both!!! i prefer pie plus, but opera 9 for windows mobile will bring full flash - including proper youtbe/google video support, widget support etc etc... Btw, you only pay once for both pie plus and opera mobile. Should you change to a compatible phone later on, just email them your new phone's id and they'll give you a new reg key!
    (pie plus even let you install on 2 or more windows mobiles at the same time - assuming you use the same user id on both...)...
    But again: the built in internet explorer does it's job, but you need a stylus!
    The windows media player is not so great - by default you need a stylus as well which is a bummer in a portable player (yeah you can assign buttons, but it's awkward...)...but there are skins available that are more finger-friendly. Btw, soundwise the tytn is not bad!!!
    For video get the core player - handles quite a few formats - in fact, i haven't tried a video it couldn't handle yet! So no more converting...(it's free afaik)
    and do get spb's mobile shell2!!! A MUST!!! Very useful! Very cool!!! Very finger-friendly!! Best wm application by miles and miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭long_b

Thanks for the reply strecker. I was thinking about getting one on the cheap for quiet browsing in the bedroom. I was wondering if the keyboard was noisy ?

Thanks for the reply strecker. I was thinking about getting one on the cheap for quiet browsing in the bedroom. I was wondering if the keyboard was noisy ?

no, keys are not "creaky", and you can turn of all phone noises while still hearing alarms/ringing...or you can switch completely to silent...

btw, you can install opera mini on it as well - but out of the box the tytn doesn't support java. You need to install a jvm (java virtual machine) first.
    They are free to download... i don't have a link handy, but if you google "tytn java" etc, you should find links!

if it's for browsing, why not an e61/e61i?
    Brilliant screen for browsing, brilliant keypad, and a good built in browser plus it's java ready - so you can install opera mini or teashark and browse much more conveniently than with any windows ppc! Just a suggestion... I do like the tytn, and certain applications it handles are great, but it's browsing capabilities are not the first quality coming to mind... Compared to e61 and even the treo 750v etc etc the tytn, imho, is merely "adequate" for the web. Though the nice screen size may suggest otherwise....

I'll have another look at the E61 but it was the lack of HSDPA that put me off it.

My main requirements are

Fairly cheap
    Good size screen
    WLAN
    HSDPA
    Supports decent browser (eg Opera Mini)

Basically a cheapy MID (Mobile internet Device)

Any other suggestions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Default browser is windows pocket IE, and it's a mixed bag:
    plenty of features, and shows pages quite correctly, but you'd want to get a 3rd party add on called PIE Plus. It plugs into the browser and adds tabbed browsing. It also allows you to scroll left/right/up/down with your fingers...and a host of other feature!!! PIE plus is NOT free and costs as much as opera's mobile browser...so you should try both!!! i prefer pie plus, but opera 9 for windows mobile will bring full flash - including proper youtbe/google video support, widget support etc etc... Btw, you only pay once for both pie plus and opera mobile.

Incidentally there's now an flv plugin available for Pocket IE to playback Youtube videos.
    Strecker do you know what browsers support full internet banking and shopping.
    Pocket IE doesn't but does Opera Mobile?
    Netfont does to some degree but dunno if it's available for WM5/6 anymore.
    The windows media player is not so great - by default you need a stylus as well which is a bummer in a portable player (yeah you can assign buttons, but it's awkward...)...but there are skins available that are more finger-friendly.

Forget about Windows Media Player Mobile and get Mortplayer.
    Best free MP3 app IMHO.
    Huge buttons making it totally finger-friendly, plays most files and plenty of configuration options.
    For video get the core player - handles quite a few formats - in fact, i haven't tried a video it couldn't handle yet! So no more converting...(it's free afaik)
    Agreed, best video player.
    and do get spb's mobile shell2!!! A MUST!!! Very useful! Very cool!!! Very finger-friendly!! Best wm application by miles and miles!
    Great app.
    btw, you can install opera mini on it as well - but out of the box the tytn doesn't support java. You need to install a jvm (java virtual machine) first.
    They are free to download... i don't have a link handy, but if you google "tytn java" etc, you should find links!

A lot of WM phones now have a built in Midlet manager that supports java apps- surprised the Tytn doesn't have this.

• Advertisement

@mkennedy,
    as far as I know opera mobile does support secure
    online banking - believe they put a lot of emphasis on that bit when 8.65 was released...

and I agree: how fairly upper range models like the tytn and treo 750v can be released without a java engine??????

mort player, yeah: forgot about that one(when I found that one I had just reverted to using e61 as my main phone!)...nice and simple musicplayer for touch control!... Window's mobile media player is a disgrace in my opinion! Wonder what it'll look like in sony ericsson's Experia?!

Picking up an e61 at the weekend from adverts.ie.
    If anyone is interered in a TzTn you can check out expansys B Stock page. They have one for about 200 smackers. No kinky cos I'm posting from me 6120 :)

Picking up an e61 at the weekend from adverts.ie.
    If anyone is interered in a TzTn you can check out expansys B Stock page. They have one for about 200 smackers. No kinky cos I'm posting from me 6120 :)

well done!!! Have had my e61 for close to 2yrs now - in that time (I blushingly admit) I have tried to replace it with treo 750v, tytn,, p990i, w950i, n95, n95/8 and some unmentionables (oops, q9h)... And I failed... 85 percent of the time I still use the e61!!! It's great: features, built quality, battery life, 3rd party program support etc etc...
    Plus: in these iphone-challenged times it's brilliantly uncool!!! How cool a package is that!!!

enjoy!!!!! You will!

Uncool, ugly and big. I think I've found a worthy successor to my Ngage ! :-)

Uncool, ugly and big. I think I've found a worthy successor to my Ngage ! :-)

hahaha...

but then again: not many pretty phones are as sturdy as the e61!!! Though they could hide in the e's gigantic battery compartment for shelter :D

• Advertisement

Ended up getting both !!
    Now I have more questions if you don't mind :)

I want to use TyTn as a modem for me EEE PC, wireless if possible.

Has anyone done this or something similar ?

How tricky is it to upgrade to WM6 and do you know of a safe ROM to use ?

Much thanks !!

Ended up getting both !!
    Now I have more questions if you don't mind :)

I want to use TyTn as a modem for me EEE PC, wireless if possible.

Has anyone done this or something similar ?

How tricky is it to upgrade to WM6 and do you know of a safe ROM to use ?

Much thanks !!

hmm... Done it via usb on pc's, should be the same with eee pc? Sorry...
    Haven't bothered with wm6 - didn't like it on q9h nor on ubiquio, and some apps I use don't work with wm6... Someone else???

Managed to flash it last night - xda-developers.com is a great resource.
    A bit nervy but it went fine after rolling back some drivers on Vista.

Loaded a WM6 ROM which works OK (by some guy called Schap) - looks like pants though.

Most importantly it has Internet Connection Sharing which let me use http://www.wmwifirouter.com/
    - hey presto, my now have me own WiFi on the train !

One less cable to worry about, plus the laptop connects much more quickly than dialup.

Cool... Might give it a try myself!
    You must try mobile shell 2 by spb on the tytn!!! It's the best wm apps by far... Very flashy ui! Beats iphone's imho! And dinarsoft's memory maid to keep registry etc clean!!!

Advertisement