Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pup with suspected parvo

Options
  • 08-04-2008 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

So after 13 good years we had our pooch put down due to sever illness at xmas, my dad got a new dog from a shelter yesterday.

Now not even 24 hours later the poor fella is with the vet with a suspected case of parvo. I don't know much about it other that some worring stuff i've read from google searchs. He was given a worm dose yesterday and judging by his stools this morning it was certainly needed.

What can more knowledgable folks tell me about this condition and any long term effects if he recovers as from what i've seen his chances are 50/50???

Oh he's a 6 month old pointer cross.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

If he had his inital course of vaccinations he has a good chance. Parvo, being a virus, basically you just have to let it run its course. Getting him to the vet as soon as he shows any signs and keeping him hydrated with iv fluids will definately give him a good chance. They can give him meds to help with the diarrhea and vomiting, and keep him warm and comfortable. Generally there are no long terms effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

sorry I don't know much about the disease but I hope the little guy will be ok. sorry to hear about you're old dog as well, RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

vet has him on the IV as we speek so fingers crossed he's ok

kerrysgold wrote: »
    sorry I don't know much about the disease but I hope the little guy will be ok. sorry to hear about you're old dog as well, RIP.

Thanks for that , new guy is like his ghost

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Sorry to hear about your Dogs.
    I rescued a dog about 5 years ago and he had Parvo. Thankfully he made it through. Even after coming home from the vets he was very sick for an extra 2 weeks passing blood in his Pooh.
    Hopefully he will make it through. Sometimes if you never had a dog before
    and cats have been in your garden then your dog is more likely to catch the virus. I don`t know true this is though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Considering the short amount of time the pup was in your care, he really had to incubating the disease when you got him. I would be asking serious questions about wherever you got the pup from. You should probably contact them and let them know, if it was a breeder I would be looking for my money back, if it's a rescue they will need to know as they will need to close the place down and thoroughly disinfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Sorry to hear about your pup.

He's not a tiny pup so that's something in his favour.
    You say suspected? Has the vet done a Parvo test on him? It will reveal the presence of parvovirus antigen in your dog's faeces.
    It could also be gastroenteritis.
    Either way, fluids are what will save him. If he's on an IV in the vets, he stands a good chance.
    I've been through parvo with one of mine when they were rescued & have also been through a bad case of gastro with a very young pup.

100% agree with what Carwash has said. The rescue need to be informed for the safety of the other dogs in their care.

Sometimes if you never had a dog before
    and cats have been in your garden then your dog is more likely to catch the virus. I don`t know true this is though.
    This isn't true, dogs can't catch parvo from cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

We've had 3 dogs from the dogs home and all had Parvo and all survived.

He's in the best place at the moment and being hydrated is a big part of a good recovery....hope it all works out well..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Any update on how the little guy is doing?

Jules wrote: »
    Any update on how the little guy is doing?

Yes.!!! just got off the phone with the folks up at home and they say he got the all clear from parvo, he's doing much better and is being kept another night just to make sure he is eating ok etc but i'm told he was a much bouncier chap this afternoon and was looking to get his collar off for a good chew on his iv :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Great news, I'm thrilled for you!!!:D

:( news from the people at home is that it turn out to be indeed parvo he has after all , he was sick durring the night , and is being kept another 3 days at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Poor little man.Horrible disease.I've heard somewhere that crows carry the virus.Anyone know if that's true?I lost a bunch of rescue pups to it a few years ago and could never figure how they got it as they never set foot anywhere other dogs had been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Poor little man.Horrible disease.I've heard somewhere that crows carry the virus.Anyone know if that's true?I lost a bunch of rescue pups to it a few years ago and could never figure how they got it as they never set foot anywhere other dogs had been.

THEY don't have to go anywhere to catch it as YOU can bring it home on your shoes, hands etc.
    This isn't true, dogs can't catch parvo from cats.

This distribution of feline parvovirus antigenic types in captive large cats suggests an interspecies transmission from domestic dogs.

Canine Parvovirus is thought to be a mutation from the feline Parvovirus as the latter appeared in the early 20th century whereas the Canine Parvovirus didn't rear its ugly head until the 1970s.

The use of modified live feline panleukopenia virus vaccine to immunize dogs against canine parvovirus suggests that the host question becomes more and more blurred as the virus keeps developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

parvo virus like Egar says can be carried on your shoes clothes etc.It can also be air borne carried on the wind hope he gets better.

well after 10 days in a cell @ the vets we where finally able to bail him out of the vet prison today :D

He's all better now and full of beans , he made it a point to wee in the kitchen when he got in :eek: lucky he held it in the car :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

HA Ha.Glad to hear he is doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Is it only a vet who can immunize against parvo? Reason I ask relates to a pup we got and the lady claims she vaccinates them.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

No, anyone can vaccinate a dog, the vaccines are widely available in the chemist. Alot of breeders especially greyhound breeders vax their own dogs as it's about half the price.

However I think only a vet will be able to provide you with a stamped vaccination card and you have to have one of these if you want to go to dog training or kennel your dog. Could be wrong on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Toulouse wrote: »
    No, anyone can vaccinate a dog, the vaccines are widely available in the chemist. Alot of breeders especially greyhound breeders vax their own dogs as it's about half the price.

However I think only a vet will be able to provide you with a stamped vaccination card and you have to have one of these if you want to go to dog training or kennel your dog. Could be wrong on that though.

There's a change in the law coming in (if it's not in already) apparently to make vaccinating your own pets illegal. It's already illegal for anyone bar a registered vet to sign off on a vaccination so if your dog needs to go into kennels or get a pet passport etc you'll need to get the vaccinations redone Andrea B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Thanks folks. Did get done by vet as we didn't believe the seller due to some other issues.

Advertisement