Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Primary School Teacher training College???

Options
  • 08-04-2008 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am currently a Leaving Certificate student, with the aim of eventually becoming a Primary school Teacher. At present I cannot decide which college to go to. I have narrowed it down to Mary Immaculate College in Limerick and St.Pats in Drumcondra in Dublin. Does anyone have any recommendations? It is thought that Mary I has a better name, however after doing some research the course in st.Pats seems to be more innovative. I am extremely confused. Does anyone have any recommendations? Any feedback on either college would be greatly appriciated:) Thank you:Dxx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 derryo

Hi,
    I'm currently in first year of primary teaching at Mary I. From what I know there are no major differences between Mary I and St. Pats. People are always saying that a Mary I graduate will be employed before one from Pats but this isn't necessarily true. Whats more important is that you've worked hard at your degree and gotten good results, regardless of which college you've attended. Hope this is of some help, if you have any more questions feel free to PM me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

I'd recommend Marino. Lectures are very practical and the lecturing staff are very friendly and approachable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 innocentsmile

I'm in the same boat, deciding between colleges.
    I'm looking at Dublin but can't decide between Froebel and St Pats.

Froebel (which is my preferred at this moment) is <u>really</u> small which could be a good or bad thing. My problem is that there isn't campus accommodation and I'm completely lost looking for accomm. around Dublin.

St Pats is appealing because I can do French.

*torn*

Any words of wisdom?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Well I can speak from both experences. I'm currently am in 1st year n Froebel and live with people in 1st year from Pats and Froebel is without a doubt the better option.

1. Yes it is a small college but everyone knows everyone else. There is always nights out and activities arranged especially the froebel ball- Fantastic!

2. All the lecturers are really approachable and friendly.

3. It's a more practical approach to teaching than Pat's. EVERYTHING we learn and do is associated with teaching and very beneficial to learning about children. In Pat's they spend a load of time on irrelevant assignments and theory that have nothing to do with teaching i.e. subject picking in 1st year. The people I live with are constantly complaining about the course.

4. Froebel teachers are seen as more capable teachers by schools. Every principal and teacher I have spoke to outlines the huge difference in abilities between Pat's and Froebel as Pat's concentrate mainly on acedemic subjects rather than the child.

5. Trinity lectures on mondays are brilliant. We join with Marino and CICE for lectures.

6. Accomodation is a bit hard now but everyone has found digs or a apartment around the college. Since Froebel is only 10 minutes away on the bus from UCD there are endless accomodation oppurtunities so don't worry you will get somewhere!

I can't stress enough how much better a choice Froebel is.

Hope that helps!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭J.R.

From experience graduates of all the colleges are equally as good and hiring at interview does not depend on what college you went to - most marks would go for knowledge, suitability, exam results, and personality - extra curr. activities Drama, Art, P.E. Music clubs etc. definitely help.

St. Pats & Mary I are 3 years to get honours degree ....Marino & Froebel are 4....last year attending Trinity while working by day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

I went to Pats and would say that all qualifications are the same i.e B.ed. However Pats and Mary I are 3 years for honours degree. The B.ed gets you the interview you get the job yourself.

Also the next bit is v important , all people who pass the B.ed in Mary I i.e do not fail it get an honours degree as they have a system where you get a Primary Degree 1st/ 2nd/3rd Class Hons. This means all graduates from Mary I get 5,051 of an allowance in addition to salary.

In Pat's just those with a first or second class Hons degree get the 5,051 those with a pass degree get 1,892. Thats every year of your career a lot of money. UL changed their system for degrees a few years ago DCU will do it shortly so the difference will then disappear. On that basis only I recommend Mary I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

I go to Mary I and that's news to me..great! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

Check it out!! I know it to be the case.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mightyjubjub

I'm currently just finishing 1st in Pats and I remember this time last year being totally undecided about which college to choose! And here's the thing, they're all the same! You get the same degree out of every college and the college you go to doesn't make you a better teacher. It all depends on you. There is alot of snobbery between various students in the different colleges and I hate that!! I've been told by people that I wont get a job when I graduate because i went to pats! Come on! It seriously makes no difference!

I chose pats because I didn't like how small the other colleges were, not that pats is huge or anything but I felt that I would feel like I was still in school if I was in marino or freobal. I like the annonimity of pats. Most of the lecturers don't know who you are and I like that. You don't feel like you're being monotored all the time and you can skip a lecture or two without being noticed... Although most of the group lectures are sign-ins. I like being one of 425 in my year rather than being one of 100. I am delighted with my choice and friends that i have in marino and freobal are delighted with theres.

Chose the college you like the best. At the end of the day you graduate with the same degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 DeirdreD

I have been in both St Pats and Mary I and to be honest not much of a difference, it prob depends on where you are living and how far you will be travelling each weekend home, rent is also cheaper in limerick and easy enough to source near the college. As regards jobs when you are finished I think it will be you, your teaching practice grades etc that will be looked at as opposed to the actual college you attended. Prob worth visiting both to get a feel for what you do prefer. Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 I_M

i certainly would not recommend the church of ireland college of education. regardless of religion. I have known many people who have attended and they have found the "lecturers" most unhelpful and arrogant. I have been in the college myself for brief periods and find that the atmosphere is primary school like-in that the "lecturers" have absolutely no respect for the adults they are teaching.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement