Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for info on two breeds rough collie and shetland sheep dog.

Options
  • 08-04-2008 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭

Hello

We are thinking of getting a new dog we have not had one for a while not since our spaniel passed away.

I was wondering what people could tell me about shetland sheep dogs and rough collies.

Roughly how much room is required for a rough collie in your garden ours is medium and although we would give any dog plenty of exercise i wonder if it is adequate, others in our neighbourhood have had collies and generally gardens are the same size. So roughly how much room do you need.

Also i have heard collies can bark a lot in comparison to other breeds does anyone have any experience with this?

As regards shetland sheepdogs a friend of mine had one a wonderful dog although any that i see now seem to be much bigger than the breed used to be is it just me?

We have not yet decided on a breed as you can tell but we thought we would get as much info as possible.

I volunteer at a animal rescue center, and so i know it is so important to get the right breed and right dog for you, they are all cute and your heart can be in the right place but if you dont have the right home it wont work.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Lou.m wrote: »

I volunteer at a animal rescue center, and so i know it is so important to get the right breed and right dog for you

Fixed that for you :D

Seriously, as you're sitting at the source so to speak, why don't let a dog pick you ?

A lot of people I know of have gone to rescues to look at one dog and have come back with a different one that picked them (instead of them it) ...all these people are very happy with their dogs.

So what, if it's not a Collie or a Sheltie ...or any breed, for that matter ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I agree, you should just pick a dog you like as you obviously must look after plenty of them, and that likes you of course!

I don't think garden size really matters as dogs don't usually exercise themselves anyway so as long as you're prepared to give a dog daily exercise and maybe extra exercise off lead on the weekends then I'd say any dog would suit you.

how high are you're fences? some dogs may need fences up to 6' or more and as you seem to like collies, which are the agility dog of choice a lot of the time, I think you'll be needing you're secure fence lol.

collies are also very intelligent dogs and need lots of mental stimulation as well as physical exercise i.e. getting them to think about things, so lots of obedience/trick training and maybe you could do something like agility which I mentioned before, collies seem to do really well at it as they are fast and agile.

Advertisement