Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with training indoor dog

Options
  • 08-04-2008 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I have a 5 mount old miniature Jack Russell, I had her trained to use a tray as I would like to keep her indoors, but for the last two weeks she has gone backwards and seems to think she can go to the toilet anywhere. Has any body got any advice to get her to use a tray again as my wife just wants rid of her if she does not stop.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

why are you using a tray? can't you just let her out in the garden do do her business? how much excersize does she get? you're wife needs to understand that it isn't the dogs fault if she isn't being trained properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

kerrysgold wrote: »
    why are you using a tray? can't you just let her out in the garden do do her business? how much excersize does she get? you're wife needs to understand that it isn't the dogs fault if she isn't being trained properly.
    i thought trays are used for cats(litter trays?)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

richroon wrote: »
    as I would like to keep her indoors,

Always?

All the time?

I was wondering the same as peasant. O.o

I've heard of trays being used for dogs living in apartments before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 richroon

she was great for 8 to 10 weeks and then just went backwards. she uses it about 30% off the time

• Advertisement

how come you can't just let her out into the garden and how much exercise does she get? /repeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 richroon

she goes for walk most days but she cannot go outside as the she is very small and the garden is not very secure as she is so small and there are two angry dogs next door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

richroon wrote: »
    she goes for walk most days but she cannot go outside as the she is very small and the garden is not very secure as she is so small and there are two angry dogs next door.
    can the angry dogs get access to your garden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

I think bathroom breaks every half hour in the garden is the best idea.

you can take her outside on the lead just to do her business, that's what I do with my dogs in the colder weather when they just go otuside long enough to do what they have to do! (except for their walk of course)

also, it shouldn't be that hard to fence in your garden, I'm not if the problem here though would be keeping you're dogs in! I know how you feel, our neighbours have a dog who isn't exactly what you'd call friendly and he's always coming into our garden but our dogs are never unattended anyway but it's still annoying.

You could make an area for her to go outside of picket fence which is about 4' high. She'll need outdoor space in the summer especially. My dogs love to sunbathe in the summer and are outside nearly all day :p

or buy a cill dara run. they are quite expensive but are very secure and would keep your little girlie in and the other dogs out.

could you not have a word with your neighbour about the dogs? they should have sufficient fencing to keep them in especially if they are a danger to other dogs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement