Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

??? Install Firefox on phone?

Options
  • 08-04-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

This just hit me: you know you can install firefox and opera on any usb memory stick, and say youre in an internet cafe where they only have IE installed on their machines, you can then plug in your usb stick with your firefox, your bookmarks etc etc...
    Now, would it be possible to install firefox on,eg, my n95/8's mass storage, and then connect the phone via usb to a pc and run ff from the phone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Provided your phone shows up as a mass storage device on the operating system without the need for extra drivers, then you shouldn't have any problems doing this with the mobile versions of Opera and Firefox.

Do not though that this will reduce the life of your memory card, although I doubt you'll notice this in the time you'll have it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

random wrote: »
    Provided your phone shows up as a mass storage device on the operating system without the need for extra drivers, then you shouldn't have any problems doing this with the mobile versions of Opera and Firefox.

Do not though that this will reduce the life of your memory card, although I doubt you'll notice this in the time you'll have it!

i have yet to see a worn out memory card. it will probably fall apart before this happens because every sector can be re-written about 100,000 times and the cards usually some form of wear leveling to stop the same sectors from being constantly re-written

me wrote:
    Dam typos !

Do note though that this will reduce the life of your memory card, although I doubt you'll notice this in the time you'll have it.

THat's what I ment to say - of course, go and do it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

random wrote: »

yeah...
    Just: what do you mean "in the time you'll have it"?

strecker wrote: »
    yeah...
    Just: what do you mean "in the time you'll have it"?
    I guess this explains it briefly ..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory
    Memory wear

Another limitation is that flash memory has a finite number of erase-write cycles (most commercially available flash products are guaranteed to withstand 100,000 write-erase-cycles for block 0, and no guarantees for other blocks).[1] This effect is partially offset by some chip firmware or file system drivers by counting the writes and dynamically remapping the blocks in order to spread the write operations between the sectors; this technique is called wear levelling. Another approach is to perform write verification and remapping to spare sectors in case of write failure, a technique called bad block management (BBM). For portable consumer devices, these wearout management techniques typically extend the life of the flash memory beyond the life of the device itself, and some data loss may be acceptable in these applications. For high reliability data storage, however, it is not advisable to use flash memory that has been through a large number of programming cycles. This limitation does not apply to 'read-only' applications such as thin clients and routers, which are only programmed once or at most a few times during their lifetime.

Don't worry though ... it shouldn't be a concern for you, I just brought it up before someone else did !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Random thanks!!!
    Yeah, was aware of probs re flash memory... Wouldn't actually try it on the n95/8 with its fixed memory... A memory card's easier to replace, so my e61 shall be the experiment object!!!
    Just hate leaving usb sticks behind, lol...so I thought this migh work better...
    Thanks for the replies; will report on the result later!

Advertisement