Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

During Dentist work

Options
  • 08-04-2008 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭

during dentistry work do most dentists have a problem with you listening to an iPod or other source of music??i know they put on the radio but that sucks

basically i have to go in to the dentist in 3 weeks to have 4 fillings and an extraction.but i absolutely hate the dentist and cant stand the sound of things touching my teeth.

i just need something to take my mind off things while its going on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Hey yeah I'd imagine most dentists wouldn't allow this but you never know! Plus a dentist often needs to communicate with you while drilling so might seem a bit rude having earphones in-to me its same as someone answering their mobile while in dentists chair but ya mite find someone that wont mind.

If nervous or dont like the sound of drills would you go for sedation where you are awake but drugged so dont really know or care whats going on?!

Hth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

i can see where you're coming from suzieb.definitely understand how it could be rude and about the communication.maybe i could just ask them to turn up the radio.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Call them and ask in advance of the appointment.

My sister is terrified of the dentist and her dentist actually suggested to her that she bring music with her to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

Call them and ask in advance of the appointment.

My sister is terrified of the dentist and her dentist actually suggested to her that she bring music with her to listen to.

If they are going to give you heavy sedatives, it's moot.
    You could me listening to Richard Clayderman.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

I had to have 4 fillings done about 3 years ago and my dentist at the time asked me if I'd a walkman that I could bring with me. He knew I was terrified and said the walkman might help cos most people are mainly just frightened of the noise of dentistry. It helped me through the 4 fillings but god knows what damage it did to my ears... I had it on full blast to cover the drilling :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

suzieb wrote: »
    Hey yeah I'd imagine most dentists wouldn't allow this but you never know!
    Mine did, and he was Chairman of the Irish Dental Association at the time!

It was back in the 80's and as a chisler, I was really really really nervous about fillings and such.

I reckon any Dentist with a humanitarian streak would let you listen to music as having a more relaxed patient must surely make their job easier.

Advertisement