Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€20.60 for €20 of O2/Vodafone credit

Options
  • 08-04-2008 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed that O2 and Vodafone are charging €20.60 for a €20 of phone credit on the YQ? touchscreen machines.

It happened last Thursday morning on our machine at work/shop.
    Is it a coincidence that recently both netwrks are giving free texts on weekends for the rest of the month if you top with €20.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Has anyone noticed that O2 and Vodafone are charging €20.60 for a €20 of phone credit on the YQ? touchscreen machines.

Is it a coincidence that recently both netwrks are giving free texts on weekends for the rest of the month if you top with €20.

Noticed that myself when getting Three credit on the YQ machines- 10.40 for 10 euro credit.
    Eh since was 10 euro credit 10.40? :confused:
    Can't i just buy it off the shop assistant for 10 euro instead.

Biggest load of sh1te i've ever heard of. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

are you sure that it isn't the yq machines charging 60cent as a service charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

MiCr0 wrote: »
    are you sure that it isn't the yq machines charging 60cent as a service charge?

Sounds like that

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

neither of the networks are doing that. o2 did that some time last year but the offer is gone. they now do free texts to all networks at all times for €20 and vodafone do free texts to voda at all times for the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

O2/Vfe sell the credit to YQ who use their distribution network to sell it on to you. While O2/VFe have a role to play in this price it will be YQ who sets the price you pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Then i know that it's YQ? because it happened automatically in the shop i work in.
    Our boss wasn't even at work that day. Those YQ? machines send and receive information automatically.

Must be against the law to charge €20.60 for €20.
    It only happens for the €20 amounts.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    neither of the networks are doing that. o2 did that some time last year but the offer is gone. they now do free texts to all networks at all times for €20 and vodafone do free texts to voda at all times for the same price

Vodafone are doing it? Free calls AND texts all weekend
    http://www.vodafone.ie/offers/prepay/freetxtwknd/

Valid until June 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Then i know that it's YQ? because it happened automatically in the shop i work in.
    Our boss wasn't even at work that day. Those YQ? machines send and receive information automatically.

Must be against the law to charge €20.60 for €20.
    It only happens for the €20 amounts.:mad:

Lol, against what law? Hahaha!
    Galway spring are selling tapwater in bottles!
    Banks sell you 100.000 for 130.000 - its called a loan!
    If they dont display the surcharge, well, that'd be against the law!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 m2p2008

ya i think its very bad anyway if you dont like paying sc i say you soud get a bill phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Topup via online banking / ATM / Network shop / Dunnes stores and you won't pay the surcharge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

most people don't care about the surcharge for some reason. the kiddies in collitch can get €20 for €19 at the student's union shop but they are still using those damned YQ machines because most of them are too lazy to walk

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

/me thinks SOlitaryman666 sees a business oppurtunity!

Stand between the automated machine and the counter and sell for €19.80! Profit of 80c for you and saving of 80c for them !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

I would never pay the surcharge - especially on a non-attended machine. The original argument for adding surcharges went along the lines of the retailer not making enough margin. Now that is a flimsy argument at best since the shopowner really hasn't to do much for his margin anyway (no stocking cost, no shelf space needed), but for a 4ft pillar justifying the rip-off charge is completely another.

Go to supermarkets, ATMs, post offices and other reputable retailers and never pay more than the value of credit you're buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Genghis wrote: »
    The original argument for adding surcharges went along the lines of the retailer not making enough margin.

Vodafone just slashed there comission to retailers that's why surcharges have become common in the last few weeks.....fact!

If you pay a shop assistant €10 per hour they will need to sell 200 individual top ups an hour to pay for themselves before the retailer makes a penny......

If you want someone to blame take it out on Vodafone, they were the only operator to cut margins.....and by default forced nearly every retailer to apply a surcharge...

Free texts and Free Calls for life....not exactly the smartest promotion to run when your in the business of selling calls and texts.....somebodys got to pay and as usual it's joe public financing Vodafones marketing department....

Advertisement