Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brought my Son to the Range Today

Options
  • 07-04-2008 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

He is 14 and it is the first time I have brought him. I really enjoyed it, teaching him about safety and respect of a firearm. It's one of those landmark occasions we spend with our kids, teaching them to ride a bike, drive the car in a field, watching him with a .22 pistol in his hand (standing just behind him) take nervous aim at a bullseye target, and hesitently squeeze the trigger will live in my memory for ever. He did quite well hitting on average 4 bulls per mag at 10m. A proud moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

trevcon wrote: »
    He is 14 and it is the first time I have brought him. I really enjoyed it, teaching him about safety and respect of a firearm. It's one of those landmark occasions we spend with our kids, teaching them to ride a bike, drive the car in a field, watching him with a .22 pistol in his hand (standing just behind him) take nervous aim at a bullseye target, and hesitently squeeze the trigger will live in my memory for ever. He did quite well hitting on average 4 bulls per mag at 10m. A proud moment.

well done nice to see father and son shooting i wish there was more of
    it done only in time your son will want a bigger gun .22 LR mmmm. dad i saw
    a rifle and scope it was ONLY 1.000 euro can you lend me the money daddy.:D:D my son is 17 years old new blood in shooting i hope lol.steve

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Nice one......those memories last forever.

I brought my son and daughter out one day with the shotgun. Gave them a couple of shots each at bottle or something - with me holding the gun!When she was about to pull the trigger, a pigeon flew past (nowhere near the shot) but to this day she reckons she "nearly" got a bird! She was only about 6 at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 trevcon

It's the wifes turn next, that should be fun! She's one of thoes anti-firearm types, "their evil", "they kill people". Hopefully a few shots will turn her just a little towards our side of the fence(and I dont mean at her).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

It's the wifes turn next, that should be fun! She's one of thoes anti-firearm types, "their evil", "they kill people". Hopefully a few shots will turn her just a little towards our side of the fence(and I dont mean at her).

Wouldn't take mine shooting. She'd know ho much i spend on it then ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

Friend of mine was made sell his two shotguns a few years back the BOSS told him she would'nt have them in the house.

As Luck would have it about 2 years later she became friends with a few girls who shot some clays with their husbands, 6 months after meeting the girls she asks the husband to help her choose a first gun.

2 of them now back shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

there is no way i would bring my wife out shooting WHY.
    she would say to me how fast can you run that after looking at my
    life insurance. it was a accident garda he told me to pull the trigged
    it is not my fault:Dgarda.mmmm my wife would said what am i going to do
    with 150.000euro:Dlol

Some very valid points. The wife is a townie wheras I'm a country boy, brought up hunting and fishing. She fought me tooth and nail when I applied for my licence, "Your not bringing it in to this house". Im sure most of you know the story. The way I look at it get her out there, hopefully she'll enjoy it = peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Double-Alpha

Yes, Trevcon, I remember well the day my father asked me if I wanted to go with him for a bit of target shooting, and the surprised horrified expression on his face when I said “yeh, I’ll go and give it a try”. :eek::eek:

I too was a 14 year old, but I was a freckled face, pony tailed tomboy lass. :D

We got into the car and drove a couple of miles across to a small local dead-end valley called Ballysmutton, set up a couple of targets and he began my introduction to shooting. He had an old BSA air rifle and a .22lr, I can’t remember the make.

Needless to say, I got hooked, didn’t like the .22 too much because of the loud report and the echo in the valley, so I settled on the air rifle. Some years later I went on to shoot air rifle competitively, I was pretty good at it but the whole ambience was spoilt by certain individuals who acted like, and thought themselves as Gods. I think the same kind of thing happens in most clubs and organisations when they get too big for their boots, pity. I have recently taken up pistol target shooting and have got the buzz again.

So all you Dads out there, don’t just ask your sons & nephews if they want to go shooting, ask your daughters, you might be surprised.

Girl Power Rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Yes, Trevcon, I remember well the day my father asked me if I wanted to go with him for a bit of target shooting, and the surprised horrified expression on his face when I said “yeh, I’ll go and give it a try”. :eek::eek:

We got into the car and drove a couple of miles across to a small local dead-end valley called Ballysmutton, set up a couple of targets and he began my introduction to shooting. He had an old BSA air rifle and a .22lr, I can’t remember the make.

Needless to say, I got hooked, didn’t like the .22 too much because of the loud report and the echo in the valley, so I settled on the air rifle. Some years later I went on to shoot air rifle competitively, I was pretty good at it but the whole ambience was spoilt by certain individuals who acted like, and thought themselves as Gods. I think the same kind of thing happens in most clubs and organisations when they get too big for their boots, pity. I have recently taken up pistol target shooting and have got the buzz again.

So all you Dads out there, don’t just ask your sons & nephews if they want to go shooting, ask your daughters, you might be surprised.

Girl Power Rules.

yeah so true, my daughter used to accompany me regularily when
    i went out target shooting, it started from about 12 years of age,
    with some tuition she got very handy at targets and now that shes all grown up and has a boyfriend, her boyfriend seen me unload some rifles from the car one day and asked me to give him a crack at some rifle shooting and clay pigeon shooting. so after organising an open day i took him up to the range and set up a couple of 100 yard targets for him to shoot at- he was struggling to get a hit on the bull no matter what i did
    and eventually he resigned himself to the fact that he wasnt the master sniper that he thought he was:D, but the look on his face was priceless when i replaced the target with a fresh one and my daughter very calmy proceeded to place 5 0ut of 5 in the bull and then say "thats too easy dad" later i asked my daughter if she had tyold him that she had plenty of practise and she winked and said "no way", i swear too god he has never mentioned shooting since poor boy:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I was eleven years old when the da took me out to the fields as we done often before me beating a few ditches and stuff. On this day however he told me to go and cut of a good long branch from a willow and stick it in the ground about 30 yards away from him. I legged it, got the branch and stuck it in the ground. I came back and he wipped a fertilizer bag from his coat pocket and told me to go and tie at around the stick. Done that and came back getting a bit puzzled when he handed me the gun and two cartridges and said : "See if you can hit that now."

A couple of months later I started of on woodies and clays. Haven't looked back since except for a few years as a muppet of teenager that is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

I was eleven years old when the da took me out to the fields as we done often before me beating a few ditches and stuff. On this day however he told me to go and cut of a good long branch from a willow and stick it in the ground about 30 yards away from him. I legged it, got the branch and stuck it in the ground. I came back and he wipped a fertilizer bag from his coat pocket and told me to go and tie at around the stick. Done that and came back getting a bit puzzled when he handed me the gun and two cartridges and said : "See if you can hit that now."

A couple of months later I started of on woodies and clays. Haven't looked back since except for a few years as a muppet of teenager that is.

my first shot out of a shotgun was a small log cut for firewood thrown into the air when i was 14 years old, i somehow managed to hit it and then my uncle and father looked at one another and then my uncle handed me the shotgun which was an aya boxlock , a game bag and six boxes of eley cartridges and said " dont shoot anyone" it was like winning the lottery.
    my uncle was a guy who had money back when no one had money and the gun was a gift given to him by a scottish landowner on whose land
    he had carried out a government contract , and he had softened up the landowner by organising machinery to dig drains etc free of charge the
    landowner on hearing that he was a shooting man gave him the gun as a gift.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

I have brought my nephew out to do a bit of target shooting with me.

He brings the doubled up match attack cards he has and we pin the Players from the teams we don't like to the board. Add a bit of fun to the shooting.

In his first go at the 25m knock downs he hit 6 out of 7 shoots not too bad I thought.

And at 50mt got a few in the bull and some nice shoots into the match attack cards.

When my daughter is a bit older I will bring her out, If she wants to go that is, At 6 weeks old she just can't hold the gun yet.

Girl Power Rules.

Double-Alpha my son has twin sister and I will also bring her. Didn't the other day because she was unavailable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Double-Alpha

"Double-Alpha my son has twin sister and I will also bring her. Didn't the other day because she was unavailable."

The terrible twins :eek::eek:, God bless you, you certainly have your hands full there, ha ha :D:D

Remember, a young lady will often have a bad hair day :p:p

It's great to hear that others are bringing their sons & nephews etc out to shoot, great stuff, keep it up.

They will be the next generation of shooters. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

My first shot were out of a z 22 about 3 years ago!
    I was 14 at the time!
    Now im licenced for 3 guns and hold a dual licence for another one!
    The bug bites very fast!
    So dads beware!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

Making sure the little ones are protected. Might be of interest to some of you.

Peltor KID,Childrens, Kids Ear Protectors Muffs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190168662689&ssPageName=ADME:B:DBS:GB:1123

Advertisement