Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PROBLEM w/ connecting internet Windows based IPAQ112-Nokia 5300 using Bluetooth

Options
  • 07-04-2008 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Am new to the forums and decdided to post here cos my phoneline provider is the irish based meteor.

justin wondering if there is an existing thread that may help my problem or if anyone has knowledge of a similar problem.

I have GPRS enabled Nokia 5300 which i am using to connect to the internet with meteor. I am using Windows Mobile 6 on a hpIPAQ.

The Bluetooth connection is sound bewteen devices and info from meteor regarding isp names and passwords seem to be fine...

... i am just at a loss to find out where i place the 'initialisation string' or 'command string'...? Am thinking this is where my problem lay.

anyone help here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

At+cgdcont=1,"ip","isp.mymeteor.ie"

that was taken from an email sent to me by a meteor customer care rep. here's the email:

For customers to be able to use their phone as an external modem to hook up to a PC or laptop for full Internet access, the guidelines are pretty simple:

* The handset MUST have active GPRS that is working without any problems and
    * The handset method of connection to the laptop or PC must be the same (bluetooth to bluetooth or Infra red to Infra red).
    * They also must be provisioned on the HLR for ISP (internet access).

Meteor support Windowns based operating systems from Win98 upwards (service pack 4 is needed for the Millenium Edition of windows).

Once the handset and the PC/laptop are paired and can 'see' each other, the below step by step guidelines will ensure connectivity.

* When selecting the modem, on a laptop you need to enter the Extra initialisation command.
    * AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","ISP.MYMETEOR.IE" (Note: All higher case and no gaps)
    * You also need the dial up number, which for siemens is *99***1# and *99# for all other phones.
    * There are no dialing rules and no user name or passwordeither.

Below are the general settings for setting up a connection but you probably have these yourself:

First Pair up your handset and your computerusing your bluetooth/I-R software, then follow the steps below:

* Menu> Programmes> Accessories> New Network connection Wizard
    * Connect to the Internet
    * Set up my Connection Manually
    * Connect using a dial up modem
    * Select Desired modem
    * Next Name it
    * Type the Phone number *99#
    * Add a shortcut to your desktop
    * Menu> Settings> Control Panel> Phones and Modems>
    * Select desired modem
    * Click Advanced
    * Enter the initailisation string
    * No user name or Password (if you receive a hardware failure then put in 'meteorisp'as the username and password.)
    * Then the phone number *99#
    * UNTICK dialing rules
    * And then youre done

• Registered Users Posts: 11 patma2003

cheers man...

i'll hard reset my machine and start from scratch with this info...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 patma2003

yeah...

doesnt look like they have a place to enter the meteor initialization string on this hp handheld...disappointing...better go talk to these hp people again... painful...

thanks sam...

hopefully i'll find a way around this..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i've never actually used those settings because when the guy sent them to me i was actually looking for something else but i think you enter the string in the network connection on the computer, not on the device. I know the nokia pc suite has a place to enter an initialisation string when connecting to the internet

as far as a know, you only need that string if you're trying to use the phone as a modem in a pc. I've never used an ipaq so its might be different but i've never had to enter that string on any phone i've set up to use the meteor isp settings

Advertisement