Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagate FreeAgent 500GB USB2.0 85.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Now thats a great price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭465

I was looking for a western digital model myself as data integraty is important, but yes, this is extremely tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

me too. Quite happy customer of WD.. will buy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Western digital model for €3 more.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343423

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Western digital? Whats that?

Whats the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Piece of crap. Stay away from it. Big problem with power failures resulting in data being lost and drive just dieing. Mine died after 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

Go with the Western Digital "My Book" version rather than this one. I have 4 Western Digital externals now and i have never once had a problem with any of them. They look good, dont make too much noise, and so far ive had no problems. I would recommend them to anyone. See the linky below posted by skywalker.

damien.m wrote: »
    Piece of crap. Stay away from it. Big problem with power failures resulting in data being lost and drive just dieing. Mine died after 3 weeks.

Which one are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I've two of these along with the 2.5" version and have never had a prob...

Biggest difference is WD only give a 2 year warranty, the Seagate gives a 5 year warranty.. That makes all the difference to me...

And someone on komplett makes a note about the lack of a power button... It shuts down automatically, mine sleeps when my mac sleeps.. Time machine wakes it for backups, great little unit..

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Have this Freeagent drive. Bought it from dabs after incredible problems from pixmania.

No problems so far. Nice and quite, although the lack of an off switch is fairly odd.
    If like me you're using it just for storage then you'll have to unplug it every time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

unklerosco wrote: »
    I've two of these along with the 2.5" version and have never had a prob...

Biggest difference is WD only give a 2 year warranty, the Seagate gives a 5 year warranty.. That makes all the difference to me...

The big difference is that the Seagate is completely sealed and has no exhaust and is therefore prone to overheating.

The WD has lots of nice vents at the top and a fan to keep it cool.

Warranty length doesn't mean much, after all MS gives you 3 years on the Xbox 360 and we all know how likely that is to break.

BTW the warrranty is just on the drive, not on your lost data.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I know its just on the drive... Anything thats on the drive is a back up of whats on the mac which in turn is on the laptop... Chance of loosing all 3 at the same time is slim, also have most important things on my .mac account...

Main thing is that if the drive fails in 4 years time I get a new one, with WD u gotta buy a new one...

bk wrote: »
    The big difference is that the Seagate is completely sealed and has no exhaust and is therefore prone to overheating.

The WD has lots of nice vents at the top and a fan to keep it cool.

Warranty length doesn't mean much, after all MS gives you 3 years on the Xbox 360 and we all know how likely that is to break.

BTW the warrranty is just on the drive, not on your lost data.

Is the fan on the WD noticable?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

skywalker wrote: »
    Is the fan on the WD noticable?

No, not noticeable, certainly not over the noise of my PC.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

unklerosco wrote: »
    I know its just on the drive... Anything thats on the drive is a back up of whats on the mac which in turn is on the laptop... Chance of loosing all 3 at the same time is slim, also have most important things on my .mac account...

Main thing is that if the drive fails in 4 years time I get a new one, with WD u gotta buy a new one...

How might you go about getting a replacement in 4 years time?

Do you still need the receipt or whatever?

I'm just wondering as I have one and Don't have a receipt anymore.
    I still have the box of that's any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

These drives are rubbish. I had to RMA the first one I bought (from Komplett) within a month, and the second one looks like it's heading the same way. Basically, it's touch and go as to whether the drive gets recognised when I boot my work PC up (I originally bought it to work as a backup for code and data). I have problems with both Vista and XP. Steer clear of the Seagate if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Certainly do a search on google for heat related problems before buying one of these, my friend had three fail in as many months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

jayteecork wrote: »
    How might you go about getting a replacement in 4 years time?

Do you still need the receipt or whatever?

I'm just wondering as I have one and Don't have a receipt anymore.
    I still have the box of that's any use.

Seagate are absolutely fantastic if you ever have to return a faulty drive. I bought one on ebay years ago that was damaged during shipping, I got in touch with Seagate instead of the person I bought it off and had a replacement within 3 days of applying for an RMA.
    All you'll need is the serial number of the unit, a receipt isn't necessary.

I have a freeagent and have had absolutely no problems with it myself (lack of a power button is annoying, but not much of a problem as I only use it for backups) It's quiet, reasonably fast and is (imo) perfectly reliable.
    Also have 2 internal Seagate drives and can't fault them at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Tman ,my drive has a power button on it. It's designed just like the playstation power button ,you need to press it for about 6 seconds for it to work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement