Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best radio streams and sites over 3G.

Options
  • 07-04-2008 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I'm trying to get Realplayer radio streams to work over a 3G/HSDPA network.
    However these streams generally don't work over 3G and seem to need something called a "DMZ" to use with the given network in question.
    Can anyone shed light on solving this problem.

It's unfortunate because a lot of radio streams are in the realplayer format.

Anyone know of a good website to download streams in other formats/PLS (playlist) files to mobile devices.

I've tried Shoutcast and got a few but it's missing a lot of radio stations I want.
    And i've looked at www.radiofeeds.co.uk but that's the one that has a lot of the realplayer format above (which by all accounts generally doesn't work over 3G networks).

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

look into a program called "Spodtronic"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

look into a program called "Spodtronic"

Thanks.
    What OS is that for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Symbian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

What platform are you using? If Nokia then give their internet radio application a whirl. The only way I know of to get BBC stations is with Realplayer and if you are with 3 forget it as the streams drop after precisely 1 minute and 44 seconds. Three Ireland are aware of this but have not fixed it to date. I have had some luck using Orb in between the BBC servers and me and converting the streams to 3gp but it's a clunky workaround. I have also heard from other Three users in the UK (who have the same dropout issue) that the on-demand streams do not drop out - haven't got around to trying that myself yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Bluefrog wrote: »
    What platform are you using? If Nokia then give their internet radio application a whirl. The only way I know of to get BBC stations is with Realplayer and if you are with 3 forget it as the streams drop after precisely 1 minute and 44 seconds. Three Ireland are aware of this but have not fixed it to date. I have had some luck using Orb in between the BBC servers and me and converting the streams to 3gp but it's a clunky workaround. I have also heard from other Three users in the UK (who have the same dropout issue) that the on-demand streams do not drop out - haven't got around to trying that myself yet.

Thanks, I'm using Windows Mobile.

I'm actually using the Three network alright but tbh I have actually played back other streams for longer than the magical 1 min 44 seconds.
    (Although now that you say it I did notice one particular stream cutting out at around that mark once).

When you say on-demand streams what are you referring to (do you mean the playlist PLS files that you download?).

But my main problem is Realplayer.
    After googling "streaming Realplayer format over 3g" I found that GENERALLY realplayer gives problems over 3G.
    Apparently some UK 3G networks have gone some way to sorting this Realplayer thing out by setting up DMZ's (whatever they are..) but that's probably not the case here.

Are you saying you can stream the REALPLAYER format by using Orb.
    Doesn't Orb require you to remotely connect back to your PC at home?

Apart from all that though, I find that even with the streamable formats, the 3G signal isn't fantastic and it needs to buffer a lot.

3G just seems very over-hyped tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement