Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Levelling (not the type ur thinking of!!)

Options
  • 07-04-2008 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭

This is taken from http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20287762-A-nudge-on-how-to-power-level

just wanna know if anyone has tried this method. im sure it will be changed soon enough.

anways....

"A nudge on how to power level.

As it has not been discussed here, i wonder why...we are supposed to be cutting edge.

Anyways, the paladin athene holds the leveling record in World of Warcraft at 1 day 2 hours without rested xp for levels 1-70. GM's watched him hit the cap as they were surprised at the rate in which he gained the levels.

It is only talked about, as he hasn't given official word, but I and many others believe his strategy is out.

I just tested this with a friend and brought his alt from level 30 to 40 in ~2 and 1/2 hours.

How does it work?

Get a group with two level 70's and one lowbie in a high level instance for the lowbie. (ie stockades 15-25, SM 25-35 etc.)

The two best 70's are prot or holy pally and a mage. One 70(pally) pulls all mobs to the entrance of the instance without doing damage. Other 70 leaves the group before damage starts (mage). Lowbie is still in the group with first 70. First 70 (pally) aoe's mobs to ~ 20% hp. First 70 now leaves the instance, second 70 not in group finishes off mobs. Lowbie gets 80% kill credit xp for elites.

How well does this work?

In my own use with a friends alt at level 39 -- One pull in SM (won't say which :P) netted 26,400 experience without rested xp. Or just under half a level.

Keep in mind, this is a hot commodity and will not be around for long."

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If this worked, could you not then bring someone to a much higher instance (i.e. a lvl1 to Scholo/Strat)? Or is it more in the numbers that can be killed in the lower level instances? I might give this a shot to get my rogue or hunter past the done-to-death starting zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

well every instance has a level entry requirement. so presumably they were bringing the toon through at the lowest entry level fo sm, which i think is 25.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Yes, this is almost word for word how athene announced that he did it.

Except at level 55 they bring the character to slave pens where they have the character being leveled leave the party and aggro a bunch of mobs, then the level 70's will kill the mobs as quickly as possible and rinse and repeat...

From what I can tell its incredibly effective but sadly my prot paladin is on a different server to the one I am currently playing on so I'm waiting till I level up (and gear up) my new prot paladin before I get it properly started... though I guess they'll have nerfed it by then.

slave pens has a 55 entry level?! :eek:

i wonder if this is one of the methods used by paid power levelling companies. or do they actually quest?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

"Unfortunately we have a DDOS (distributed denial ofservice attack) currently aimed at our pages, rather than give you page timeouts and errors I've decided toshow this page for now while we mitigate it."

When you click on that link.

I wonder if it's blizz or people who don't want everyone to know :P

• Advertisement

hmm strange alright, that dslreports site is huge though and the wow section is only a small percentage of their community so it seems unlikely thats why their forum would be down.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

I really dont see any logic in making it such a bore and challenge to get your character to the point in which the game actually gets a little interesting... that is, "endgame".
    They dont deserve such a succesful game lol

Not that it matters much anyhow... warhammer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

KoKane wrote: »
    I really dont see any logic in making it such a bore and challenge to get your character to the point in which the game actually gets a little interesting... that is, "endgame".
    They dont deserve such a succesful game lol

Not that it matters much anyhow... warhammer
    I imagine when you're a player who's level 3 or 4 characters to 70 doing this is more for the novetly factor.

Would also be a nice way to make money.

When I was leveling 1, in European beta a little over 3 years ago now, I absolutely loved leveling.

When I rerolled an alt druid I still loved leveling. It was the fecking mounts that ruined altitis for me. Going back to walking around when I was used to a massive 60% movement speed boost! Let alone the often dream of 100% MOVEMENT!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Ivan wrote: »
    When I was leveling 1, in European beta a little over 3 years ago now, I absolutely loved leveling.

When I rerolled an alt druid I still loved leveling. It was the fecking mounts that ruined altitis for me. Going back to walking around when I was used to a massive 60% movement speed boost! Let alone the often dream of 100% MOVEMENT!

And dont forget 280%. Cant imagine going back to a normal flying mount. Nightmare!

• Advertisement

i have to agree lads, i start a new alt every couple weeks just to stop boredom on my main toons, and as much as i hate the starting zones now, i HATE having to walk around.

i read before someone saying that if you had a toon or two maybe at 70, that you should be able to re roll any class at, say, level 20 to skip the starting zones.

im looking forward so much to the chance of playing the new death knight class, a lot more than im looking forward to the chance to level my toons to 80.

the thought of a new playable unlockable class is keeping me very interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Mmmm mount speed. :) I'm so tempted to go back to my Hunter main.. a Netherdrake combined with the BM mount speed talent is awesome compared to my Druid's pooey little bird form!

The epic engineering flying mount + Crusader Aura > All.

I can build epic engineering mount, i have the mats, i just need to 5k gold to get the god damn skill :(

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭nicryan

I recently started an alt (first one in god knows how long) and the running about - oh god help me...thank god all I'm doing is instance runs with lvl 70 guildies...I guess we'll have to try this extra fast method...our current method is rotation of who's on their 70 doing the boosting :P

Only problem is finding a prot pally to help out...and it'd also mean I'm one of the 70s cause my main's a mage...

Nic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭jason&arthur

i hate flying mounts :(

BRM was the **** back in the day, not even ground mounts! awesome!

Has anyone actually tried this themselves yet? I'm gonna see if it works tonight, and hopefully jump my new alt from 1-30 pretty quick. I hate the earlier levels (pre-30) now, as i've done them to death.

I also cant stand how long it takes to get from one place to another at earlier levels. Running from Sentinel Hill to Lakeshire was awful. It was amazing the first time, seeing the great looking forest, but now its just horrible. Plus i hate how slow the normal flying mounts are. I desperatly want my epic bird, but i still need about 3.8k gold, which will probably never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭nicryan

I find grinding primals worked quite well as a money making thingie...but with being able to do 25 dailys per day now...thats an easy 250g for not too much effort...you can get your epic birdie quite quickly with that. Do that and grind a couple of primals every day and you'll get all you need for the flyer in about 2 weeks.

Nic
    --Monkair (Laughing skull-EU (horde)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

tried this with my prot pala and a mage boosting a 20 warrior.

in one pull of about 2/3 off stocades he levelled about 94% of level 20.

not bad.....

Isnt stockades the level 22ish instance?

From what I understand of this you should be bringing him to SM or Razorfen Kraul. All of which you can enter at 20. You can pull most or all of Cathedral in one pull, depending on your gear with the prot pala and the mage just has to Frost nova and BLizzard (which I dont think is affected by the AoE nerf).

That should get you 2-3 levels at a time with the level 20, if not more.

• Advertisement

quality, nce to hear it works.

Advertisement