Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillwalking/climbing

Options
  • 06-04-2008 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi does anyone know of any hillwalking/hiking clubs/groups in Westmeath? I've tried googling it but came up with nothing. If not Westmeath does anyone know of anything in Longford/other surrounding counties as I am working in Longford so if there was a club/group there it would be accessible for me also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭justmehere

To piggy-back on this thread, anyone know of a hillwalking ground Dublin/Wicklow catering to the 30-40 age bracket?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

...sorry to goes off on a slight tangent but...

Have you found that they do NOT cater for the 30-40 age bracket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Kiera20

Just out of curiosity dewsbury what is the general age group thathillwalking/hiking clubs cater for? Just wondering as I am around the 30 year old age group as well and probable wouldn't be that interested in it if there was no one else my age in the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Does it really matter. Theres probably a huge range of ages in most groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

• Advertisement

Kiera20 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity dewsbury what is the general age group thathillwalking/hiking clubs cater for? Just wondering as I am around the 30 year old age group as well and probable wouldn't be that interested in it if there was no one else my age in the group.

Actually Kiera, I was asking you the same question ! (I don't know the answer).

I suspect it is a mixed bag of ages.

I hope you do join one (or two) then for the right person it could be a great hobbie.

(I intend joining a club when my children are a little older).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Kiera20

Ah right. Well hopefully I'l get around to going a club and seeing what it's like. Afraid I'm a lot better at making plans though than I am at getting myself motivated to actually get out and do something as energetic as hillwalking!

Ah right. Well hopefully I'l get around to going a club and seeing what it's like. Afraid I'm a lot better at making plans though than I am at getting myself motivated to actually get out and do something as energetic as hillwalking!

Break the mould - DO IT !!!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

It's one of the best things you could ever do! You won't need motivation after you've been hooked :)

Okay Kiera ..... let's compromise.... I sense it is time for you to change ...

Just join the club for 3 outings ... try it out .. see what happens....

We all need to be more adventurous and push our own personal boundaries.

JUST DO IT .. and report back to boards in 6 months time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Carlito78

Hey, there..Not sure when you posted this but am in search of same but think all the hillwalking clubs are of the older variety- im not ages but would prefer to go on hikes with people in 30s or so...Did you get anywhere??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The date is at the top left of each post Carlito.
    The thread is only two days old so I doubt that the OP has had time to get into the hills just yet, who knows though, she could be a fast mover!

For what it's worth I think most clubs have a big mix of ages in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 MrDylan

Seems like there's a bunch of people here that aren't on the free travel pass yet. Why don't people here agree to meet up and trek around the hills for the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 veronika

Hi does anyone know of any hillwalking/hiking clubs/groups in Westmeath? I've tried googling it but came up with nothing. If not Westmeath does anyone know of anything in Longford/other surrounding counties as I am working in Longford so if there was a club/group there it would be accessible for me also.

Hi Kiera. There is a hillwalking club in Westmeath. Its Boherquill Ramblers club and they have a phone number 043 93 85116. If you wanted to grab a few mates and just go yourself following trails then look up the East Coast & Midlands web site, they list walks you can do. Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

MrDylan wrote: »
    Seems like there's a bunch of people here that aren't on the free travel pass yet. Why don't people here agree to meet up and trek around the hills for the day?
    i like that idea.. except that it would be Impossible to find a place and date to suit everyone.. and someone could be a murder and we wouldnt know it!! .. nah im joking.. you all seem like very nice people! :D

oh.. it'll be another 50 yrs till i get the Travel Pass... but i've joined a hill walking club and there are people there who've had that pass for Many Years!!

Advertisement