Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 42"

Options
  • 06-04-2008 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get a 42" tv but i dont know what brand to get, also i was going to get the lcd until a shop assistant said that once you go above 40" in lcd the picture starts to lag when watching fast moving images, is this true because that will do me no good if im watching football and the colours start blurring, thanks, o yea is LG any good

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Im gonna jump in here and say that LG is not good , and if you want a good set for SD at 42 inch look at Panasonic plasmas . Some LCD's are quite good at SD regardless of size , but if you want real quality at that size go for a Plasma.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Pioneer is the best brand, the Kuro's are stunning. Expect to pay a premium though.

Panasonics are very good aswell, if you're looking for a more affordable option.

I'd steer well clear of the cheap plasma brands, but that's just me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

yea i didnt think LG were going to be great because the sales assistant seemed a little too eager in selling it, at the moment all id be using the tv for would be watching tv (sports)/dvd's and playing ps2 so i dont know if that will make a difference in advising me, i am also looking at getting a surround sound entertainment system to suit whatever tv i eventually get

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I've got an LG 32" and i find it excellent at showing sd from sky via scart.I find it excellent at hd-ready too

i just have the basic ntl package through the pipe coming into the living room and have no plans to get digital cause i dont think itd be worth the money, i watch alot of dvds and sport hence the reason i want to get a good surround sound system to match the tv

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Get a nice Panasonic TH42PY70 plasma.

Yes, I'm biased, since buying one a few months ago. Though I personally still rate it above many of the Sony (I haven't witnessed the X-series) LCD's.

Maybe Panny will re-introduce the enticer of 5 year guarantee at some stage.

I do though sometimes worry about burn-in when playing PS3 games... so I try not to leave static images on for too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Ive seen and compared a lot of flat panels , and Pioneer are definitely the best , but the price is mad ....if youve got the cash though , its the one to get ,

Panasonic are the close runner up ,

Sony are nowhere near as good , first off they dont do plasmas , second off , they have some very ropey technology bolstering up their displays , I dont rate them at all , they were late coming to market with flat panels and are still very far behind the pack.

LG are budget models , and dont stand up when compared to the likes of Panasonic ,( or even Toshiba , Samsung , etc.) given equal size and resolution the Panasonics will wipe the floor with just about anything out there except the Pioneers.

it sounds like the panasonic is the way to go so, is burn-in a big problem with plasma's? how long would an image have to be displayed for, for ir to happen and can you fix it if it does occur

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

I have the same Panny as the chap above and had an LG before both 42" Plasmas

Can say the panny is defo the better tv and as for burn-in not a proble m really anymore unless say you left the sky menu on for about 24 hours !

All the stuff about logos is guff too - the kids watch nick jnr all the time with its nice logo sitting in the corner and regardless of whether they are watching it or not - its left on for hours on end with no burn in

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

mathias wrote: »

Sony are nowhere near as good , first off they dont do plasmas , second off , they have some very ropey technology bolstering up their displays , I dont rate them at all , they were late coming to market with flat panels and are still very far behind the pack.

partially agree. Sony's P, U and S current models are are low spec and your better off going for similary priced samsungs if lcd is your choice. But When your in V,W & X model sony territory they are fantastic sets for LCD's.

Have had the current S (26") and it was a terrible set. Sold it for a profit two weeks later, and upgraded to a 40" V3000 and it's a beautiful set even on aerial.

• Advertisement

thanks wolff i thought in this day and age they might have fixed the burn in problem and it sounds like they more or less have, was just looking at the panasonic website and it seems that il have to go up north to get one as there doesnt look like they have many retailers in the south, is the website wrong? and will the tv work in the south, i use basic ntl through the pipe into the house, thanks for all the help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

http://www.allianceelectric.ie/

where i got mine - delivered to me on sat morn for 30 euros extra - and im 40 mins from dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

will the tv work in the south, i use basic ntl through the pipe into the house, thanks for all the help guys

not with basic ntl. you'll have to get it down south

thanks big moe i wasnt sure whether the tv up north would work, i presumed the whole vhf scenario would be my downfall and no doubt there is no way around it, alliance electric seems to come highly recommended by everyone on this site i must go into them and have a look, does anyone know if they would do a deal if i got a stand and cinema surround sound package off them or does anyone have a name of someone in there who will tell me exactly what i need to know and not just bull**** me like the big stores seem to do all the time

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, the UK models don't have VHF tuners, so you'd have to get the Irish variant. However, the Irish one doesn't have the integrated DTT tuner (at least mine doesn't), not that it matters, as it's likely we'll be using MPEG4 for DTT, while UK DTT is all MPEG2. Settop box shouldn't cost much anyway.

I got mine from Reynolds of Raphoe. Expert stores stock Panasonic also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

does anyone know if they would do a deal if i got a stand and cinema surround sound package off them

yes, talk to any of them in there and you'll be grand.

adam

thanks for the help lads i think itll be the 42" panasonic for me, now all i have to do is pick a model and il be laughing

Advertisement