Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your new home(well,station)!

Options
  • 06-04-2008 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭

As of late,with my Leaving Cert approaching,I have been thinking about aspects of careers I'd like to go into..as you may have seen through my other thread on GS career prospects.

However,this query applies to PSNI + Garda Siochana or any other police forces.

My query is;
    Once you get sent to your assigned station as a recruit/trainee officer,what is it like?
    What happens when you get there?What is the attitude towards you from other officers?How do you adjust to your new/possible future home?What is the social life like?Do you receive support from officers when you are involved in stressful situ's for the first time?Where are you accommodated?What's the adjustment phase like?How did you cope with the change of lifestyle/scenery?Did you find it difficult to adapt or did you love it from the outset!?

Basically,I'd like to see what current PSNI/AGS officers and even current trainee's/recruits experiences were when they were first sent to their station and what the change was like.The reason I ask such a varied question,is that I've never thought about this aspect of a career in law enforcement,so I woud really appresiate your input!It will also help anybody else planning on applying for PSNI,AGS or any other Force!

eroo:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 stephen142

I would also like to know some information on this matter.

Seems interesting, though from what i gather from a particular episode of Nightwatch with Steve Scott, is that the new probation officers are given support from the beat partner. He helped her through the confiscation of a moped and she needed a few guidance notes.

So i guess you learn from your mistakes and get pointed in the right direction.

~Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

eroo wrote: »
    My query is;
    What happens when you get there?

When I joined up it was a meeting with the chief super, personnel to sort out paperwork, meeting with the Inspector for my team and my skipper, issuing of personal radio, body armour and CS gas, and a meeting with my tutor (I'd already met him as he was a good guy who emailed me when I was still in training and we'd gone out for a beer before my street duties started) as well as the usual new boy intro on parade/canteen on the first morning.
    What is the attitude towards you from other officers?

Some people were friendly others standoff-ish. Some were helpful and patient, others made it clear it was a pain in the arse to have another clueless probie on the team.
    How do you adjust to your new/possible future home?

I wouldn't call my workplace my home for a start. Its a job. Go to work, good days/bad days, go home, like any other job.
    What is the social life like?

Started out slowly as people don't know you or whether you're any use (on the street or in the pub ;) ). Pretty good social life overall though. But if differs from team to team and job to job. In uniform we'd do early houses after nights or go for beers on changeovers, with CID its a bit different.
    Did you receive support from officers when you are involved in stressful situ's for the first time?

My tutor was pretty good to be honest. My first fatality was pretty gruesome and the lads I worked with were helpful and knew the score. So long as you make the effort to get stuck in you'll be fine.
    Where are you accommodated?

You can live in the section house if you want, handy to save a few quid if you're single. I commuted from home to work.
    Whats the adjustment phase like, change of lifestyle/scenery?

The job is a continuous learning curve. You'll hit the ground running initially but you'll have the support of your tutor there. It is pretty strange when you're out and about on independent patrol for the first time but like everything else you get used to it and experience builds confidence.
    Did you find it difficult to adapt or did you love it from the outset!?

There is a massive amount of information to take in and if you're not paying attention you, a colleague, or a member of the public can get hurt or an investigation binned. There's a lot of responsibility and it is very stressful starting out. But you wouldn't expect it to be any other way considering the variety of work.

And of course I loved it! It was all new and I was the police! Fast cars, blue lights, roll arounds on a friday night, locking up scumbags, and a good social scene...fantastic. Needless to say the novelty wears off and reality kicks in after a time, but the trick to the job is variety and if you find yourself getting stale, move on to another unit or department. There endeth the lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

metman wrote: »
    When I joined up it was a meeting with the chief super, personnel to sort out paperwork, meeting with the Inspector for my team and my skipper, issuing of personal radio, body armour and CS gas, and a meeting with my tutor (I'd already met him as he was a good guy who emailed me when I was still in training and we'd gone out for a beer before my street duties started) as well as the usual new boy intro on parade/canteen on the first morning.

Some people were friendly others standoff-ish. Some were helpful and patient, others made it clear it was a pain in the arse to have another clueless probie on the team.

I wouldn't call my workplace my home for a start. Its a job. Go to work, good days/bad days, go home, like any other job.

Started out slowly as people don't know you or whether you're any use (on the street or in the pub ;) ). Pretty good social life overall though. But if differs from team to team and job to job. In uniform we'd do early houses after nights or go for beers on changeovers, with CID its a bit different.

My tutor was pretty good to be honest. My first fatality was pretty gruesome and the lads I worked with were helpful and knew the score. So long as you make the effort to get stuck in you'll be fine.

You can live in the section house if you want, handy to save a few quid if you're single. I commuted from home to work.

The job is a continuous learning curve. You'll hit the ground running initially but you'll have the support of your tutor there. It is pretty strange when you're out and about on independent patrol for the first time but like everything else you get used to it and experience builds confidence.

There is a massive amount of information to take in and if you're not paying attention you, a colleague, or a member of the public can get hurt or an investigation binned. There's a lot of responsibility and it is very stressful starting out. But you wouldn't expect it to be any other way considering the variety of work.

And of course I loved it! It was all new and I was the police! Fast cars, blue lights, roll arounds on a friday night, locking up scumbags, and a good social scene...fantastic. Needless to say the novelty wears off and reality kicks in after a time, but the trick to the job is variety and if you find yourself getting stale, move on to another unit or department. There endeth the lesson.

Really informative man, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Thanks metman!Wouldn't mind hearing from any Gardai/PSNI!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

My query is;
    Once you get sent to your assigned station as a recruit/trainee officer,what is it like?

A bit daunting at first 'cos people are walking past you and don't acknowledge you at first till they are introduced. Suppose you should concentrate on getting to know your unit first, senior management and then everyone else is secondary. As a recruit you are not required but you defintely should get stuck in. There is nothing as bad as a recruit/student who will not get out of the back of the car!!!!!!!!!
    What happens when you get there?What is the attitude towards you from other officers?

Same as above. Most guards will show you nearly everything you need to know such as the district, the scrotes, who to watch out for and where to nab frequent traffic violations. Again most guards will lose out on their return of work just so you can get the experience and learn.
    How do you adjust to your new/possible future home?

By getting stuck in. There is no other way to do it.
    What is the social life like?

Social life is brilliant if you want it. They say that in the guards you will make the best of friends and its true.
    Do you receive support from officers when you are involved in stressful situ's for the first time?

can't really comment on this 'cos I haven't come one a bad that has affected me. However I don;t have a problem with anyone speaking to me about it and some people have.
    Where are you accommodated?

As a student and probationner you source your own accommodation. You can just ring your station and some guards will have rooms to rent out. Prepare for a party life though.
    What's the adjustment phase like?How did you cope with the change of lifestyle/scenery?Did you find it difficult to adapt or did you love it from the outset!?

I loved it from the start. Of course I made mistakes and I'm still making them but as long as you learn from your mistakes, your skipper will put up with it. The lifestyle change for me wasn't all that hard to take 'cos I am usually the first one into work and the last to leave. My g/f has different views though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

As a student and probationner you source your own accommodation. You can just ring your station and some guards will have rooms to rent out. Prepare for a party life though.

party life sounds good, is there a big drink culture and the subsistence for food and accom on stationed phases is crap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Yes,is there a big drink culture?I'm not a big drinker so I hope that wouldn't make a difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Chris007

Like a few of yourselves i'm considering applying for the guards. I just have a query about stationing; As a Dubliner do i have less of a chance of being stationed back in Dublin?? Also, once you are stationed somewhere is it permenent or can you move???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Chris007 wrote: »
    Like a few of yourselves i'm considering applying for the guards. I just have a query about stationing; As a Dubliner do i have less of a chance of being stationed back in Dublin?? Also, once you are stationed somewhere is it permenent or can you move???

It is a 50/50 chance of being stationed in Dublin. You can request a transfer or swap after you finish your probation. If you have a welfare issue such as kids or sick parent you can make a case of being stationed near your home. The regulation of being stationed outside the division you live does not apply to the DMR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Chris007

TheNog wrote: »
    It is a 50/50 chance of being stationed in Dublin. You can request a transfer or swap after you finish your probation. If you have a welfare issue such as kids or sick parent you can make a case of being stationed near your home. The regulation of being stationed outside the division you live does not apply to the DMR

Cheers, thanks 4 the feedback! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement