Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Love Handles

Options
  • 06-04-2008 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi, I cannot get rid of my love handles and im thinking about getting lipo. I am not taking the easy way out because I go to the gym at least 4 times a week. I have very little fat in other areas but have a huge amount around my hips and lower back.
    Has anyone here ever got lipo?
    And would you recommend traditional lipo or this new smart lipo thing?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Might be best asking in the Fitness Forum for tips on how to lose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Talking Head

Im pretty experienced in fitness. I have done everything seriously. In the last year I got my bf% down from 20 to 12. They are just pockets of fat that wont budge. I really think lipo is the only answer.

Don't they have fat melting injections now that act like lipo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

They will budge, but they take an awful lot of work. I'm not 100% sure (ask the fitness forum tbh) but I would say you need around 10% body fat or less before the love handles drop off. I wouldn't waste money on lipo if I were you, get the body fat % down and they will look a whole lot better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Seek a fitness solution first, because an unnatural quick fix temporarily solves the problem. They may come back in time. You should also evaluate your diet and drinking habits, too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

lipo = bad, fitness = good.

reduce your body fat and they'll disappear, 12 isn't that low tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Its low enough that he shouldn't have love handles.

Are you just seeing them as big when in reality they're fine?

Are you getting on in years?

m83 wrote: »

Its low enough though for my size. Im 21 years old 6 2" and weigh 90kilos.

I know what your saying Sangre that it might just be in my head but there not. There a handful.

Some people may think that at 21 im stupid to consider lipo. But I do put a huge effort in the gym and with my diet but they just wont budge.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

m83 wrote: »

don't know where you got that idea! 6-12% would put a male in the 'Elite Athlete' category.......important that the 12% is a true 12 though measurements can vary greatly, calipers seem to give the best overall measurements.

What is you resting heart rate? this is usually a better indicator of aerobic fitness, the only way to lose body fat! sit ups etc dont work. But going to the gym doesn't equate to effectively working out, just look at the averagre person using a rowing machine! woefully bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Are you sure youre actually at 12%? Most people vastly underestimate their BF%, have a look at http://ur-ban.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bodyfat_Percentage_Example_Photos for some comparison pics. Seems like it'd be quite strange for you to have "handfulls" of fat on your love handles at 12%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

Fitness forum issue really.

OP how are you checking your body fat?

I would say from your post that you have the "skinny-fat" look. Whats your diet like overall and what does your gym routine look like? These are the two areas you need to focus on before thinking about lipo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

At 21 there's no way you should be considering Lipo. Like everyone else here said what you need to do are exercises specific for the area you wish to reduce. My sister had the exact same problem, she got an instructor in her gym to make her up a programme (it involves doing weights whilst standing on a ball) she now has a concave stomach and not a trace of love handles, biatch!! It takes work but it can be done, good luck!

I just took some pics to show you what im talking bout. It is more noticable in the first pic
    [IMG][/img]30sbnus.jpg
    [IMG][/img]w9cry1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Hows your diet?

exercise will be pretty useless if your diet is crap

I stopped eatin sweets and cut down on carbs and dropped 2% bf in 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You have an excellent healthy looking figure. I know it's clichéd, but I think you need to concentrate on why a trivial amount of fat is bothering you so much, rather than resorting to surgery. It's normal for people to have fat on the lower back; it helps to protect organs that aren't protected by skeleton.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Stark wrote: »
    You have an excellent healthy looking figure.

Agreed, if you want to see love handles wait for the first sunny Saturday ad head to any beach you'll see proper love handles. If you want to lose more weight stick with diet, exercise and patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Im pretty experienced in fitness. I have done everything seriously. In the last year I got my bf% down from 20 to 12. They are just pockets of fat that wont budge. I really think lipo is the only answer.

Just gonna throw this out here, that if you are as experienced in fitness as you say you are, you would realize that lipo isn't the answer here.
    Your bf is actually more like 14-15% than 12%, you could probably loose another 2-3% and they would go away.I would personally also concentrate more on building chest and shoulder muscles because if they were a bit larger the love handles would seem much smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

ah what? you don't have love handles

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

They just look like your hips to me.

Advertisement