Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which GPS "First GPS"

Options
  • 06-04-2008 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi All

I'd appreciate the input and I know this question has been asked on numerous occasions, Is it true to say that the Tomtoms units tend to be better but their maps are crap!!! and that Garmins have the better maps????

The unit purchased will be used mainly in ireland and from researching I think the tomtom has better reviews and functions, I want to use the bluetooth for calls etc. and I would be leaning twoards the TT720 myself. BUT everything on boards seems to indicate that the GARMINS are the biggest seller here.

Its not the issue of the price although both are quite good but I would like your input and help in deciding ARE the tomtom maps that bad I,ve seen posts like "I'd buy the TT720 only if it had the NAVTEK maps"

WHICH WOULD YOU BUY (considering your exeriences)

Tomtom Go 720 UK & Europe Maps
    price: €244.44 inc delivery to Ireland

(Also a Tomtom go 720 from a retailer for just under €200 that was a display model) edited after posting

Garmin Nuvi 760 ( 760T ) Brand New Model UK Ireland & Europe NT 2008 Maps FM Transmitter TMC Traffic Alerts Widescreen
    price: €295.17 inc delivery delivery to Ireland

Both from http://www.pentagongps.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

A bit strong to say the TT maps are "crap".

Word is the Teleatleas maps on TT are not as good for Ireland as the Navteq used on Garmin, however I have a TT One for the last 8 months and find it no problems over here. The odd time a windy back road has not shown up, but I usually know where I am if I'm taking these roads.

You'd be best advised to trial out both these models and see which one suits you. I find the s/w interface easier on the eye and more user friendly on the TT over the Garmin, but each to their own.

TT have online free map updates that Garmin don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭axton1

I have used a (Phonocar lets go )4'' unit and found it quite accurate.
    maps are teleatlas with marco polo points of interest.
    updates were free from website.
    I have been told that you can have the same maps on different units and the usability depends on the drive engine and chipset/processor that the manufacturer uses.
    The Phonocar one came with extra antenna and does movies mp3 etc.
    maps were all europe preloaded on 2 gig sd card + dvd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peteballagh

How good are the irish maps on the Garmin Nuvi 300?

The maps on the garmin are pretty good, but as other people have indicated the back rds can sometimes leave a little to be desired.
    That said this country is a nightmare for two reasons. 1)we don't use postcodes every body else uses some code or district . 2) we have so much rd building and changes going on that our maps are having to be done by satelite surveilance rather than actual on the ground survey.
    The other point about the acuracy for us is we don't have the population
    to warrant the gps guys paying huge royalties on the latest map releases.
    So if you want accuracy get the latest version navtec 9 q3 (june july 07) is probably the latest we will be offered . Also some of the gps companies
    supply older version maps but give a free update ! I think garmin ask you to buy a new disc if you want the latest(it might be woth checking that out to be sure. (my tech sources tell me that tom tom have bought out navtec so we could have a monoply brewing.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

October 1, 2007

Nokia Buys Navteq For $8 Billion

The deal may have some negative ramifications for guys like Garmin, a NAVTEQ customer

TomTom bought Tele Atlas for $2.8 billion

READ IT IN FULL

http://gigaom.com/2007/10/01/nokia-navteq/

• Advertisement

Thanks gun shy for straightening that one out . The gps units could start to rise in price if the software becomes more restricted.
    i.e if tele atlas/ navtec get selective in terms of whom they sell the software to and at what price.

Advertisement