Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home visits

Options
  • 06-04-2008 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

My brother's looking to rescue a german shepherd, he already has a husky and I'd just like to know exactly what's involved in a home visit.

Our family bred and showed them for years so knowledge of the breed isn't a problem, what might they be looking for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

It will be to check that he has a big enough garedn, high enough walls. Where the dog will sleep. The checker is there to make sure that there aren't 20 other dogs in the hous, that the person understands what they are taking on and what they will have to do. It's not to see how clean the house is or how well decorated it is. It is entirely to be sure that the dog chosen will have a good life in a good home with people who will look after him. The home checker should be able to answer queries or questions too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I've only done a home check once before but I'd say the main things for a GSD (or any large dog) would be:

garden fence or run at least 6' high
    warm place indoors for the dog to sleep with the human family :p
    dog to have company (i.e. not left alone for 8 hours a day while owner is at work!)
    owner to have plenty of time to exercise, train, groom the dog etc
    knowledge of proper handling, feeding etc of dogs.

Good luck! Have you checked out petsireland.invisionzone.com ? there are always lots of GSD's looking for homes both in the pound and in private rescues, you could even foster a dog before you commit yourself to adopting him/her to make sure s/he'd fit in with your house and get on well with your husky etc.

It's also good if you're current dog is well looked after, neutered etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

The husky had to have a hysterectomy due to an infection the vet said the breeder should have known about but didn't mention, aside from that she's picky over her food and farts like a trooper but is well looked after but there's only so much a human can do for a pack animal like that so they thought it would be good to get something of a similar size and temperment.

They have one lined up from dogsindistress, just waiting for the email in relation to the home visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

ah well, they are better off spayed anyway. :)
    good luck with the DID dog! :)

How long does the process take, the dog was found on Thursday, they saw him on Friday and booked him on Saturday, filling in the adoption questionaire. How long after that would they do the home visit, I'm asking because I know they don't give the dogs an awful lot of time after they're brought in before they get it in the neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

If the dog has a potential home then they will probably find somewhere for it to stay until the home check is done. Also in Ashton they are very good and do seem to hold the dogs for as long as they possibly can.

How quickly you get home checked can depend on how quickly a volunteer can be find to do it and it can be arranged. If you don't hear anything do get back to them yourselves for information, they are very busy people so it's probably a good idea to keep reminding them you are there.

This seems odd to me but they couldn't get anyone to do a home check and the dog was going to be put down but because my brother doesn't live in Dublin they decided to just give him the dog without the home visit rather than putting it down.

He seems fine but their husky keeps snapping at him (nothing too serious but if it happens enough the GSD will take the head off the husky).

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

DID are very good in rehoming animals and if necessary your brother can always contact them at any time should he have a problem. My sister rehomed a gsd from them early last year and it is going great, dog is spoiled but she was worried about something earlier this year and rang DID for advice and they were great support and offered great advice which really helped.

Advertisement