Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Important is 5th Year, really?

Options
  • 06-04-2008 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭

I am nearing the end of 5th year now and to be honest I did next to nothing up until around a few weeks ago. However, I am studying hard now, school nights and weekends and reading books even outside of the cirriculum to learn more.

Anyway, How important is 5th year? Do you have needed to have worked solidly all year around to achieve a high result in the LC or would say people, like I'm sure there are, in my position be fine if they kept studying now up until the big 2 weeks?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Nato!

Im f***ed either way... ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Nato! wrote: »
    Im f***ed either way... ha ha
    :D LMAO

Don't say that mate. This might sound stupid or whatever and heck I only go to mass 2 times a year, only once this year but

Whenever I'm worried or anything I just say, it's faith :cool:

But damn, with the LC, it's hell or heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Nato!

I have been accepted into a PLC course so now i am just bored of school cant wait to get it over with!!!

Nato! wrote: »
    I have been accepted into a PLC course so now i am just bored of school cant wait to get it over with!!!
    Ah right. Cool.
    Good luck with that.

Now get out of my thread or give me some advice :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

If you studied hard from now until the LC (if that's what you're asking), I would say that you would likely do very well, even if you messed around a bit in 5th year.

In my experience, people did about as well as they did in normal school exams, maybe a little better. I would say that that happened because the messers went on messing through sixth year, and the workers went on working. With a bit of determination, I'm sure you could do well, though.

• Advertisement

Fremen wrote: »
    If you studied hard from now until the LC (if that's what you're asking), I would say that you would likely do very well, even if you messed around a bit in 5th year.

In my experience, people did about as well as they did in normal school exams, maybe a little better. I would say that that happened because the messers went on messing through sixth year, and the workers went on working. With a bit of determination, I'm sure you could do well, though.
    It's incredible the amount of messing that still goes on in 5th year. It drives me mad. I just want to learn ffs!!! and you have people flinging all sorts across the room and kicking chairs etc.

Teachers have no control though or they just don't want to get involved. They know they have no rights so they just give up.

Might aswell not be at school some days. I can honestly say I learn far, far more on my own outside of school than I do in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Same as myself, my class is fecking immature with the exception of a few, right I enjoy the odd laugh but messing in every Georgraphy class is enough. I've basically only done every bit of homework since the start of 5th year and don't plan on studying till next November (League of Ireland finishs, but I'll be fecking 18).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

5th year is the last year you have to mess around. Sure you can study and do your work but in the future you will look back and think about the great time you had messing around. I do my homework but thats it. I dont study or anything. i dont mess in class myself but its fun to watch others doing something stupid and funny. But then again if you dont do anything this year there is more to do next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Fibonacci23

I worked realy hard in fifth year at my three best subjects (maths chemi, and bio) and got excellent results in my summer test in those, and then not as good in my other three (not too bad either considering...) and it was the best thing i've ever done.... Completely halved the work for this year, everything from fifth years now in long term memory (i hope!:D) So all i need to do is hammer the new stuff! Basically depends on what you want how motivated you are....

Plus i had transition year to sleep and throw things aimlessly round the classroom.... Was completely re-energised for fifth!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

:\ stuff only goes thrown around my classes if it's like a free class or someone's having a laugh!! The only problem we have is one retard who thinks he's the **** and he's gonna get 500 points after doing nothing all year taking up the class with his bull****

And 5th year is IMMENSELY important!!! You should be using it to learn all the definitions, all the french/german grammar, everything!!! Basically if you put in your work now you won't be trying to teach urself evverything over again and then learn it off like I am for the leaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

5th year is important-ish. You should really learn the basics in maths and physics etc... I think it's pointless learning definitions etc. in 5th year because you'll have them forgotten by the lc!

If you did nothing you still have time to do a really good leaving cert so long as you don't throw away next year too!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Kelso

Don't worry OP, when I was doing my leaving I dont nothing in 5th year, and just worked in 6th year (didn't work my as off or anything apart from d last 1-2months) and got 520 points, so it definitely can be done.
    Obviously though if you can learn the basics of your subjects in 5th year, it will ease your workload alot next year like others have said

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Are people worried about them or actually care?

I got my Easter report today and although I got 455, I wasn't happy with the individual grades. Really need to be improving to do well next year. I completely feel that work needs to be put in this year, hence it being a 2year course.

Do people actually take their 5th year exams seriously or are people's attitudes 'it'll come together next year'?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

i know from my own experience with Leaving Cert History 5th year is very important, If you adopt a more relaxed attitude and dont take in the material covered in 5th year its very difficult in leaving cert year when you go back to revise and realise you dont have a bloody clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Heavy study isn't really required. Do all your homework and pay attention in class. Just enjoy your free time that you'll have for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Dman001 wrote: »
    5th year is the last year you have to mess around.
    Ah people still mess in 6th year... In supervised study after school I went back to my class at break and found about five of my classmates who instead of going to study decided to stay in the class, found all the oral cds they could and tried to throw them frisbee-like out the window from across the room.

But it wouldn't be too recommended if you wanted to do well.

Personally the way I saw it when I was in fifth year was that you could do your LC one of two ways (if you want to do well, there's always the option to do no work ever):
    Divide your work between fifth year and sixth year and work moderately both years
    Do nothing in fifth year and work really hard in sixth year
    And I preferred to not kill myself working, so I divided it. Now it's pretty handy, I'm not freaking out because I have loads to learn, I just need to revise stuff to refresh it. But by working moderately in fifth year, I don't mean I went home and studied every night.. I just always did my homework, and did it decently well (not last second thrown together sort of homework).

But yeah, fifth year is useful, but even if you didn't work in fifth year, if you've the motivation and determination to start working, there's still enough time to get your act together and do well in the LC. It's just more stressful (I'm guessing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I really haven't been doing that much this year, doing the homework and studying for tests if I could find the time (failed so many though) and getting very mixed results for the most part. Mainly B1's and A's in french, but some D's and C's in there too, for example.

For the junior cert I did piss all really, I prepared myself for the type of stuff that I'd need in an exam and I came out with the best results in my year. I'm hoping I can pull off a similar trick for the leaving cert, though I'm thinking that I can't really, that's it's a completely different ball-game. Can anyone shine some light for me on this matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I did the leaving 10 years ago. Looking back, the answer to your question depends on how good you are at absorbing information versus what points you want to get in the leaving. I did a decently level of study (avrg 1.5 hrs study a night + 1hr homework approx) in 5th year to keep on top of things. Revision of the this material in 6th year was made soo much easier. Otherwise you'll have to face 6th year hitting you hard with new stuff plus a full year of stuff you did months ago to go thru. I even did a bit of revision over the summer if I had a free hour here or there. I was aiming to do a heavy enough college course, so I felt I should give myself the best chance possible.

Best to get into the habit of opening the books early. In college the proscrastinators really suffered stress wise when it same to cram time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Fringe wrote: »
    Heavy study isn't really required. Do all your homework and pay attention in class. Just enjoy your free time that you'll have for a while.

+1
    As a teacher, I can't stress strongly enough how true this is.
    If you keep up with what is going on day to day, try not miss too many classes, do all the homework to the best of your ability and make sure to ask early on if you reach something you don't understand, you will understand what the 'I don't really do any study' brigade are talking about coming up to the exam.

If you get to learn the information, understand the concepts etc. in 5th year, then the last term and a half of 6th year is simply revision, not a headless chicken race to learn stuff for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

5th years the most fun year in school. Not too much pressure but you're old enough to enjoy it.

You don't need too much study,but just don't fall massively behind. If you're doing languages though,it's a good idea to keep them up, and read/listen to em,cos theyre less studiable.

Apart from that,party hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Fifth year can be pretty important but it depends on thew way the subject is taught. Best way I was taught was on teacher managed to over almost all the coursework during fifth year. Same teacher for maths and tech drawing so the bulk of sixth year was simply repeating past papers over and over. Worked out really well for getting good marks in the leaving. you neded up knowing the stanrds parts inside out leaving just the heavy bits for you to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

I worked extremely hard in fifth year. But it was fear with me. I have crohns disease and I was worried that I might end up in hospital in 6th year... and guess what... I missed 2 months of 6th yr because I had to have an operation. I'm so glad I done all the work then but even now I'm still under pressure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

how looserish is this but i'm in ty now and kinda half dreading/half looking forward to fifth year!!! studied good bit for junior cert so got 9 a's and 2 b's so was well tired after it all, but after this year i kinda know that i got to do some serious work and not spend all day on this lol! and lol i picked seriously learny subjects for lc: german, business, history and geography! haha can't wait

Advertisement