Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of tube replacement

Options
  • 05-04-2008 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Anyone give me a quick off the top of the head guess at a quote ?

28 Inch Phillips CRT. About 7 years old. Am sure the tube is gone.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

More than the value of the TV.

It would cost in the region of 300-400 euro, before fitting. It's relatively common for Philips CRT's to fail, however how are you so sure? What are the symptoms?

At 7 years old, you're probably best to scrap. Otherwise, maybe if you could get your hands on a scrapped TV with the same CRT (with a different fault, obviously :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

The TV was very hard to turn on for the last few weeks.

The picture was squeezed into the middle of the screen and the TV would go to standby after a second or two. After multiple attempts, it would stay on.

However, there was a sort of flickering still aparent on the right hand side. The picture on the far right would turn black in parts.

At the moment, when I turn on the TV, nothing is working and its making a funny sound.

I'm guessing its prob the tube. What do you think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Its not the tube
    Could be a few things. From you description I can guess at a few things it might be, but until the tv is opened and a few measurments are taken, you can never be sure(except that its NOT the tube).
    Is it worth fixing? Drop it in somewhere, ask for an estimate, and decide based on that.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Based on your faults, I don't think it's the tube either. But it could be a number of things, as Doktor says.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

I had a tube replaced in my 32" Philips not so long ago by a small, friendly repair place down the road (not too many of them left!) and it cost me €120. Mind you, not sure if it's a new tube or 2nd hand, but the picture's better than it had been for a long time. TV is 5 years old, and for the money an equivalent quality of picture would cost me in plasma or LCD it's nowhere near getting scrapped yet.

Your problem doesn't sound like the tube though, as others have said. Sounds like some problem on the HT side, maybe a duff transformer. Should be easy to diagnose if you can find a nice repair shop, and shouldn't cost you all that much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement