Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microchip catflaps - any feedback on them?

Options
  • 05-04-2008 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I'm looking at getting one at the moment to keep our new young cat safe from being chased by the neighbourhood bully who also comes into the house on occasion.

Our current catflap is a magnetic one, but it doesn't open reliably when required so our other cats stop "believing" in the cat flap and using!

Microchip cat flaps work by reading the (existing) identity microchip implanted in the cat and then only open the door when one of the "known" cats approached.

There only seem to be one or two options available and this is the one I am looking at: http://www.petporte.com

Yes, its very pricy, but there's a long story behind this and it would be worth it if it kept the cats apart!

So, has anyone used this or similar catflap? Any experiences good or bad to report? Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Thanks for the link, I'm going to save it and buy one soon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I haven't any experience with the cat flaps that work on the chip, but I'd just like to put a thought out there if you don't mind.

Would you consider keeping your cat as an indoor only cat as a way of keeping them safe from the local bully. Or possibly providing them with a secure outdoor run that they can't get out of and the bully can't get into. You would probably pay about the same for the materials for the run as you would for that flap.

Cats adapt very well to living indoors or only having access to a secure run. At first they will clamour to go outside as that is what they are used to now, but when they have adapted they will be very happy as well as safe and secure from the local bully. I have 5 of my own cats and I also take in fosters, they are indoor with access to a secure run and they never try to get out now, they cannot get run over, poisoned or chased by any local bullies. You should find more information on the kitten adoption site http://www.kittenadoption.org/ if you click on the link for their chatboard and register there is a whole section in the forum about this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

mazza wrote: »
    Microchip cat flaps work by reading the (existing) identity microchip implanted in the cat and then only open the door when one of the "known" cats approached.
    They will have this system for people next :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

They will have this system for people next :eek:

Ah no. It'll be fingerprints or iris scanning. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Ah no. It'll be fingerprints or iris scanning. ;)
    or a tattoo scan lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I have an infra-red cat flap that cost me 70 euro, and it has one fatal flaw that the Microchip one might also share.

Ginger from up the road comes to the cat flap, can't get in and starts scraping and banging on it. Scamper, my idiot cat, then goes over to see what all the ruckus is about. As soon as Scamper comes within 2 feet of the flap, his infra-red dongle opens the flap, and Ginger pops in to eat Scamper's food and sleep on our kitchen table. Then scamper sits there whining that the other cat is in his house.

So just be aware that out feline friends have the capacity to outwit such technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mazza

Hmmm...looks like I'm going to be the first then! :D

I've just ordered one, so will write a quick review once we've been using it a while.

@carwash: Yes, no harm in throwing the idea out there of an indoor cat.

I've heard this put forward before (inc by a few people whose opinion on cats I'd rate highly). I'd really prefer to avoid going this route though if at all possible, as we live on a nice quiet cul-de-sac and would much prefer them to be out. Thanks.

@phutyle: I hadn't thought of that possibility! I wonder have the manufacturers?! It such a typical 'doh!' problem, isn't it...

Thanks,

Mazza

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

phutyle wrote: »
    As soon as Scamper comes within 2 feet of the flap, his infra-red dongle opens the flap, and Ginger pops in to eat Scamper's food and sleep on our kitchen table.

Yep, we had that with the Staywell magnetic flap. One of the neighbourhood cats used to piggyback ine of our cats (head to bum) as it was going through the flap. He's munch all th grub and then move to the next cat flap.

Advertisement