Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons for Fiddle Style Variation?

Options
  • 05-04-2008 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the answer?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Do you mean regional styles.. like doneygall sligo clare etc.

The reason for that is the same reason people have different accents.
    Music is very much a form of communication, especiall ITM.
    If you compare how tommy peoples plays to martin hayes and then listen to their accents you can kind of hear a similarity to thier playing styles and accents.

There was a time when regional styles varied distinctively between neighbouring villages. Sadly nowadays, with TV, radio and the internet and CD's etc, all these regionals styles are turning into one national style.

Pity really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Here, thanks so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

like doneygall

Spelling!!!!!

Firstly, there is more to playing the fiddle than what 'style' you play and secondly it's not just the fiddle that has different 'style's' associated with it. There's flute, whistle, pipes, harp, banjo, accordion...i could go on forever. I presume you're either a fiddle player or interested in fiddle seeing as you asked about fiddle...

Also, don't just take what session_savage said as gospel, go find out for yourself, see what YOU think is the reason behind styles. And you're going to have to look outside Ireland to get a true sense of it...Scotland, Scandanivia, Cape Breton....have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

+1
    Go to Scotland, listen to some of the fiddle styles there as well as timings such as strathspeys...then go to Donegal. Regional styles are influenced by many different factors, in Donegal the relationship with scotland through migration, immigration, trade etc is considered by many as a strong factor...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by session savage viewpost.gif
    like doneygall

Spelling!!!!!.......... Oops, what the hell happened there? lol... must have been tired that morning:o

Anyway, back to the important stuff.
    Firstly, I want to make it clear that nothing I say is gospel, nor do I claim it to be. Anything I write here, or on any other board for that matter, is my opinion, whether it be informed or not.

With regard to my previous post here, Caoimhín Mac Aoidh seems to agree with me. So, although it's not gospel, its not just my opinion either.

http://www.irishfiddle.com/article_on_styles1.html

• Advertisement

Anyway, back to the important stuff.

The spelling of Donegal is very important....lol!!

I'm not saying you're utterly wrong, language of course had something to do with the 'style' but not 100% and this debate could go on for years.

Only last week in a lecture we were looking at Shetland music. It's incredible. There are tunes they play with a more predominantly Irish 'style' or flavour and others that have Norwegian/Scandanivian influences....that's why I suggested to you to look beyond Ireland alone. You will find tunes in Cape Breton that you will find associated with Donegal or known as a 'Donegal tune'.

Out of curiosity...do you play an instrument OP or session_savage?

Hi Aoife.
    I'll be more careful with my spelling of Donegal in future :).... )still cant believe what an arse i made of it, althoug I am often extremely stupid prior to 10am)
    Yeah, I play the fiddle and a few other instruments, guitar, mandolin, piano, etc.
    Used to play guitar and drums in an indie rock band but gave up all that horsing around for 'reel' muisc.

Hi Aoife.
    I'll be more careful with my spelling of Donegal in future :).... )still cant believe what an arse i made of it, althoug I am often extremely stupid prior to 10am)
    Yeah, I play the fiddle and a few other instruments, guitar, mandolin, piano, etc.
    Used to play guitar and drums in an indie rock band but gave up all that horsing around for 'reel' muisc.

You're gas! 'Reel' music...dum dum chish!

Your a jack of all trades then, What style of fiddle playing would you consider yourself having...if any..?

I have been told my style is a cross between Sliabh Luachra and east Clare. I like to think of it as a Tipperary style :)

I am currently waiting for a recording of Sean Ryan, the famous Tipperary fiddler. I am hoping to get some inspiration there. I have never heard him playing but have heard of his unique style. I cant wait to get hold of the CD.

I am however, like lightning on the fiddle.... I never strike the same place twice.:D

What about yerseff Aoife?? What do you play?

Fiddler also, Donegal all the way boss lol! HUP

• Advertisement
Advertisement