Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sets

Options
  • 05-04-2008 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

I've been playing more traditional and old-time more now than ever before (I play mainly mandolin and guitar). Anyway i've amassed good a few songs and tunes now, only thing is i need to put together more sets of two and songs and tunes together.

I don't mind learning new songs and tunes, so I was just wondering if anyone out there could give a few examples of the sets they use when playing tunes (if they don't mind sharing them of course!)

For example, here's a few i'm using already...

1.Amanda Lynn's (Jig)
    Earl's Lane (Jig)

2. Tumble the Tinker (jig)
    The swallowtail (jig)

3. Boys of Blue Hill (Hornpipe)
    Harvest Home (Hornpipe)

4. Si beag, si mor
    Planxty Irwin

If anyone would like to add their favourites please do! im really interested in minor key sets....

I've only played in actual sessions a couple of times, i'm more of a bedroom musician, so i'd love to gather a load of songs and tunes so that I could land in a pub and play something longer than two minutes!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

A nice handy set on the mando that I love to play is the silver spear into father kelly's and then miss monaghans.

Also the teetotaller and saint annes are great tunes too... oh yeah, please call them tunes if there is no singing involved... its just a pet hate of mine :o

Actually what you should do id get the Foinn Seisiun books from comhaltas
    http://comhaltas.ie/shop/detail/foinn_seisiun_book_volume_1/

They have loads of sets on cd and the book. Highly recommended.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Lol! :) i know of people i know refuse to call them songs as well so fair enough! ive edited them to songs and tunes because i do play ones with singing too! :D

Thanks for that anyway, i was actually looking at those books in town yesterday, didn't realise they came with a cd too.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Actually you have to buy the CD seperately, but its well worth it.
    http://comhaltas.ie/shop/detail/foinn_seisiun_cd_volume_1/

Sorry to be such a pain about the song/tune debate :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Well it's definitely worth it considering you can buy it online for fifteen quid, while it's 27 quid in a shop in town! :eek:

You're not being a pain about the song/tune thing, i think i'll be needing proper schooling in good session etiquette anyway if i want to start playing out! :)

Advertisement