Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with heavy back-pack

Options
  • 05-04-2008 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to post this question as it could be covered in a few different places, but I'm guessing there may be more experience here. Basically I'm running in the Marathon des Sables next year and its time to start thinking about training with a back pack.

The average weight is between 15-20kg without your water. I not sure what I'm bringing with me yet, I have to test out alot of stuff, so I haven't decided on the final pack yet.

The questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with is what type of back-pack would you suggest to start training with and what type of weight. I was thinking of starting of with about 8kg and taking it from there.

I know its not a lot of weight but if there are any pitfalls you guys are aware of from experience I would be thankful for your advice.

Just in case people aren't aware of the MdS its a desert event, 6 marathons over five days. I have experience running in this type of evironment but the only thing I usually carry is my 3lt camelbak so 20kg is a bit of a jump into the unknown for me. Cheers in advance.

Advertisement