Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow white whites

Options
  • 04-04-2008 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Trying to get my shirts back to white again. Some of them have gone a bit off white.

I was told If I wash them and then soak them in a tub full of bleach it should do the trick?

What bleach can I use, any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

You can use any kind of bleach!

You can also get "Keep it white" sheets from a supermarket - never used them so dont know if they work! But use a keep it white sheet when you wash them in future (aftre bleaching!)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

the 'Keep it White' sheets work pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Soak them in a basin full of boiling water and A LITTLE bleach diluted in it! Too much will actually burn and discolour the material browny-yellow. Better to go too little than too much. Even a small amount will work if they are left i it long enough. Rinse well with cold water afterwards, and you might need to wash them properly to get rid of the bleachy smel

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

After you've rinsed them thoroughly wash them in a 90 degree wash.

Once in a while I'll give all our whites a boil wash and it brings them up great, I rarely have to resort to bleaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

There's this potion/powder thing that you can get in any supermarket called Rescue Remedy (IIRC)... It's a sachet in a box... You put it into a basin of water and let your clothes soak in it for a while. Now, I've used this to get rid of dirt stains at the ends of white jeans (from walking around in Irish weather!) and it brings them up brilliant white, so I'd imagine it'd do the same for white shirts. It might be a better option than tossing some bleach in seeing as it's purpose made for the job rather than you guessing the amount of bleach... You'll find it in the detergent aisle! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

vanish!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Scatman

dont leave them soaking too long or they go a yellowy colour

l

Advertisement