Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SGS Test Centre in Blackrock (Cork)

Options
  • 04-04-2008 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭

I've just been given a date in 3 weeks time for a test in the new testing centre in Blackrock. It's about 30 seconds down the road from where I live and I'm very familiar with the area so I'm hoping that'll work in my favour! Thing is I've yet to meet someone who has done a test in this centre so if anyone has done a test there I'd appreciate your advice, experiences, etc. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Did my test in there last May. Unfortunately, I failed. What would you like to know?

I do recommend a couple of pretests though with this guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I'm talking about the one in Cork, not Dublin :) (had me confused for a second there! I was like 'holy crap, I thought it just opened?')

But yeah, for anyone else who did their test there, I'm just looking for a general idea of the route that got taken, and an overall experience... obviously I'm aware these aren't a substitute for practise and lessons, but I'm mostly curious because I've heard absolutely nothing about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cj2007

i did mine in an sgs in Dublin just wanted to let you know one thing..they use handheld computers which they have to tap on every few minutes to make sure it doesnt turn off it looks like they are giving you a grade for doing something wrong but they arnt i spent the whole test thinking i had failed because he kept touching it but passed with only grade 1 marked...

Yeah... I failed 5 months ago in the SGS in little Island :( I actually didn't know they had to tap on those to keep them working, makes sense, I thought I'd gotten a load of errors but I'd only gotten a few (One was a grade 3 though, which is why I failed, won't make that mistake again).

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cj2007

Gauge wrote: »
    Yeah... I failed 5 months ago in the SGS in little Island :( I actually didn't know they had to tap on those to keep them working, makes sense, I thought I'd gotten a load of errors but I'd only gotten a few (One was a grade 3 though, which is why I failed, won't make that mistake again).

ye i know its really off putting when you doing the test it was only after when i found out that id only got 1 grade 1 and said to the tester that i thought id failed as he kept tapping that thing that he told me about it

• Advertisement

Anyone? Come on, I've passed about 20 people on this route already! Surely some must be on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ejvilla

Gauge wrote: »
    Anyone? Come on, I've passed about 20 people on this route already! Surely some must be on boards!

I passed at SGS Blackrock Cork a few weeks ago. If the link below works it should provide a general outline of the route I took (Let me know if it doesn't, haven't used the "create a map" feature before). I was concentrating on the driving more than the route so there are definitely differences between this and the actual route I took. I'm sure I spent more time in and around the estates than I have indicated and I'm not sure that I did the hillstart where I've shown on the map.

I figure the reverse around the corner is more important anyway and that is accurately marked. I did the hand signals when I finished the reverse.

My advice (for what it's worth): Get there about an hour and a half early, Park in the parking area beside the golf course and use it as your base for a few practice runs. Take the oppurtunity to get the errors out of your system before the real thing. For example, on my first practise run, when turning right onto skehard road I encroached too much on the stop line before the traffic lights and made a mental note not to do that in the test. Also, I took a mini-roundabout too quickly, so I made sure not to do that in the test. I found I was lot more relaxed than I had been in the morning and the test was a breeze.

I hope this helps and good luck in your test!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100694962921498286851.00044a81ea0829fe22c61

Also: I found the examiner to be very pleasant, she was slightly standoff-ish but no more so than you'd expect from someone who takes their role seriously. Instructions were clear and given in good time.

Oh wow that's brilliant! Coincidentally the corner where you reversed is the same one I practised on for my first test haha. Congrats on passing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bazh23

I've got my test coming up for 1pm on the 24th of September.
    I'm pretty nervous, but have had a few lessons and really happy with the instructor and happy to recommend him for anyone thinking of getting lessons. Don't know the area of Blackrock though, so anyone with details of the test routes, could you pm me?

Anyone who has done the test at SGS, Blackrock, Cork can you give any hints or advice?

I heard a guy failed recently on using the hand-brake too much! That has me a bit worried!

I found the process of applying for the test and the waiting time pretty decent. I was only waiting 4 weeks and got an acknowledgment letter from RSA. Decided to ring them rather than wait for the confirmation letter, and they gave me the SGS reference over the phone. So I went on the SGS website and was able to choose whatever center I wanted and pick and choose dates and times. It's a great system.

Advertisement