Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can people from the Republic join the TA

Options
  • 03-04-2008 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Okay this might be a stupid question but I would like to join the TA in the North, I live in Monaghan most of the time but would rather join it than the RDF.

Is this actually possible or do I need to actually live there ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

Short answer, Yes! ^^ Although if your not living over the border from the time you join I'm not entirely sure. But as an Irishman, yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

The only problem I could see is, if you are working in the Republic, would your employer allow you time off for exercises not to mention deployments?. If I remember correctly, they do at least a month of excercises a year with the regulars. Many members of the TA are in Afghanistan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Pyriel

I looking to join the RIR but my employed (A British Company) said they would support me if I did as we have a volunteer programme.

I just dont want to be stupid and ring the TA to be told no you live in the south so you cant join.

But deployments etc are what I am looking for.

why dont you just bite the bullet like most of us and just join regular? You'll be over there with royal irish before you know it! It's just too hard to get the most out of it if you insisting on maintaining a civvy career and social life! be hardcore and do it for a few years, if not for 22! :D

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    why dont you just bite the bullet like most of us and just join regular? You'll be over there with royal irish before you know it! It's just too hard to get the most out of it if you insisting on maintaining a civvy career and social life! be hardcore and do it for a few years, if not for 22! :D

I did five years in the lovely legion when I was 18 to early 24, I have a great civvy job now and have a mini me on the way, the TA seems just the biscut for me and also there are chances of oversea's trips worldwide which is a huge incentive and she who must be obeyed would be happier with that ;-)

• Advertisement

Jesus, legion! Ok I shant be giving you any advice so *bit embarrassed* :D
    You've done your time so I guess the TA would be perfect for you now. I'll say this, the recruitment guys in Enniskillen are dead on and no question or query will be laughed at. I'll PM you the number and name of a chap there that will answer all your questions. He's a Sergeant and a long standing member of the Royal Irish. Goodluck mate and let us know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Ex legion? I can see why the local RDF might not appeal:) Maybe you should join though, toughen them up. Teach them the ways of the legion. Make them earn the 'beret vert clair'. Oui mon chef!

As I recall a now banned person did say the TA accepted recruits from the Republic.

LOL, going for a chat next weekend up North with the TA thanks to the info DILLGAFF passed onto me..

Advertisement