Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism & media Course

Options
  • 03-04-2008 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I'd really appreciate some help. I want to do a part time Journalism and Media course. I know CMI on Dame street have one starting in April but I'm curious to know how good the course is.

Does anyone know? Its 1 night a week for 20 weeks but there seems to be alot of material covered for such a short time. How relavent is the material e.g is Quark Express is covered is it the relavant tech used in the industry.

Or can anyone who has done any course there give me information on CMI and what they are like. I know Dublin Business school, also run a part time Journalism and Media course its 2 nights a week any one have any info.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can't really help with CMI as I did a full time course in Griffith College but I think they do part time courses as well so maybe give them a call.

As for things like Quark, well I've been writing since I left college and haven't used Quark once. It's more if you want to get into the publishing end. All my work is done on Microsoft Word. It's handy to know what Quark is about alright but it certainly isn't important.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

What you been doing since college Xavi if you don't mind me asking? I'm finishing up my Media and Journalism degree in a few weeks, but it's nearly impossible to find a job under "media" or "publishing" on Irish job websites, they're nearly always looking for graphic designers more than anything.

What you been doing since college Xavi if you don't mind me asking? I'm finishing up my Media and Journalism degree in a few weeks, but it's nearly impossible to find a job under "media" or "publishing" on Irish job websites, they're nearly always looking for graphic designers more than anything.

I've done a fair bit tbh. While I was in college I wrote for Gazette Group newspapers on a weekly basis. They do local papers in west Dublin and it was a great way to get some experience. I also got a small bit of work for the Sunday Tribune out of that.

I moved to Australia last year and struggled to get into the industry as I live in Perth and most publications are based in the eastern states. Just before Christmas though I got a staff job with Australia's biggest mining and construction publishers as a journalist with their construction magazines and websites. I also contribute to Supply Chain news and Bio-technology sites. I had no prior experience or interest in this field but I've bluffed my way through it so far!

I also write Premiership previews for a Manchester City fans website in my spare time.

I plan on going home in a year or two and and using my portfolio to get a staff job in one of the nationals.

My advice would be either to get into a local paper asap or else hound some of the nationals for either work experience or contributions. I know form a mate that the Independent are in need of good quality sports writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jimmyneo1

What exactly do you want to do Speedboat chase? If its print journalism I'd agree with Xavi6 and get yourself some work experience with local papers or magazines as soon as possible. The Dubliner magazine are always looking for work experience people, so are the Southside and Northside people newspapers. Once you're in somewhere just work as hard as you can and stay in touch with them after, keep pitching ideas and asking them is there any positions available.
    I also did a journalism degree in Griffith and am now working on a national in England and I got my job through contacts. Most of the jobsites like Nixers etc are pretty crap for journalists jobs. You'll find that most jobs are hardly ever even advertised and you'll only hear about them through doing work experience and making contacts. Start buying The Guardian every Monday, its when they have their media supplement with jobs. Most are for the UK but I have seen some advertised for Ireland from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mia_doll

Thanks for that Xavi, it is actually the publishing end I am more interested in. I did Marketing in college and have been working in that for a year but I went travelling last year and I realise its not so much what I want to do anymore. I will look into Griffiths aswell.

• Advertisement

Ya, it used to be the journalism side that appealed to me but more and more I'm starting to become more interested in media. Also I've scraped through the last 4 years on barely any money whatsoever and the low wages in local newspapers are turning me right off. Plus there's the fact I don't read local newspapers or even find them interesting :confused: I contribute towards a few videogame websites and I definitely want to continue that after my course. So at the moment I'm looking for a job in media with freelance journalism in my spare time

Ya, it used to be the journalism side that appealed to me but more and more I'm starting to become more interested in media. Also I've scraped through the last 4 years on barely any money whatsoever and the low wages in local newspapers are turning me right off. Plus there's the fact I don't read local newspapers or even find them interesting :confused: I contribute towards a few videogame websites and I definitely want to continue that after my course. So at the moment I'm looking for a job in media with freelance journalism in my spare time

Give Newstalk a call then. They were always giving people in my course some work. It'd be more hands on as well with production, editing etc. Even if it's only making tea for the first while at least you're getting experience.

Newstalk 106? Had a gander around the website but the only available position is in Direct Sales. Do you suggest ringing up and trying to wangle work experience? Sorry but I do like the word wangle.

Definitely. Hassle the f*ck out of them. Phone calls, emails, calling in in person. They'll probably end up giving you something just to shut you up. That's how my mate got into RTE, which is the biggest click going.

Brilliant, I used to do face to face fundraising so I know all about hassling and bothering people :D What job position did your mate eventually crack into? Researcher? That's the only thing I'd be unsure of if I were to start the hassle

• Advertisement

Brilliant, I used to do face to face fundraising so I know all about hassling and bothering people :D What job position did your mate eventually crack into? Researcher? That's the only thing I'd be unsure of if I were to start the hassle

Started in research and now is a presenter/summariser on air. And that's in about 2 years.

Advertisement