Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maps!!!

Options
  • 03-04-2008 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks :),

Good to see this forum has been made!

I thought it would be pretty interesting to see some of the maps of operations, invasions, etc., from WW2. I remember seeing a very detailed map of operation overlord/D-Day landings in Normandy. A search on Google doesn't reveal the one I was looking for, but a good one none the less (high resolution, beware!):

http://www.internet-esq.com/ussaugusta/overlord/overlordmap1.jpg
    overlordmap1.jpg

So folks feel free to post any others you have!

edit:

Here's one of Barbarosa (German invasion of the Soviet Union):
    http://history.sandiego.edu/gen/st/~herrinton/june22.jpg

june22.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Hey Dave,
    good starter, I was wondering if you or anyone else had a key to the maps (re. unit formations ete etc) for that era. Im guessing they have changed in the last 60odd year.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Here's information and maps to the landings where I live, "Operation Dragoon" Alpha Beach Cavalaire-sur-mer on 15th Aug 1944.

Here's some more linky.

When I get a chance I'll put up some photos of the local monuments etc.

It's really weird to walk down a beach and imagine stepping over bodies and equipment when everybody around is sunning themselves and having fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Operation Market Garden

Image1234.gif

Best Map I could find unfortunately :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Unit counters are fairly similar, most post war maps use nato counters and American wartime maps are very similar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APP-6a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Operation Bagration, the most crushing defeat of the entire war and only barely second behind Kursk in my opinion.

BagrationMap2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

These are my grandad's and are from the field. There's a transcript to go with them which I'll post in a new thread when I get it typed up.

bigmap.jpg

smallmap.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wow tricky man, they're great, fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Excellent maps, tricky D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Great maps tricky. I'm looking forward to reading the transcript.

cheers gents. I'll try to finish them tomorrow so. The transcript puts the maps much more into context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Thanks tricky, the maps are great. I'm looking forward to see the transcripts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Excellent maps, tricky d. It's a treat to see something like that.

Advertisement