Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

?

Options
  • 02-04-2008 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a question in relation to Job Seekers Benefit if anyone can help me I'd appreciate it:

I've been in full time employment for the past ten years of my life & I'm currently living with my gfriend in a one bedroom rented apartment in the city. With very little prospects in my job (plus the fact I'm pretty much forced to work constant unpaid overtime) I have decided to start an evening course which I'm paying for myself privately, which hopefully will get me a job with better prospects. To do this I have to leave my current job and search for one where I can finish at a regular time enabling me to complete my course. Its not possible for me to get around this.

So, I'm aware that theres a 9 week period I have to wait after voluntarily leaving my job before I can claim job seekers benefit. If something happens that it takes longer than I expect to secure a new job will living with my gfriend (who is in full time employment) effect the amount of money I receive? - judging from what I've read it seems it does, which is a joke to be honest!

I ask this because there is no possible way that she can support me, our rent is enormous, plus factor in bills, car loans & personal loans - the figure has become a minus number before I'm even finished listing it off!!!! She can barely get by when we are both working & contributing to the costs of living.

Surely after all the PRSI contributions that I've made throughout my working life I qualify for the full rate to sustain my exisitence while I search for a new job? It is a job seekers benefit after all isn't it? I'm attempting to better my career prospects in a genuine manner, but it looks like I qualify for 'nil' benefit, tell me this isn't true. What were all my PRSI / tax contributions going towards for the past decade cause it wasn't health care thats for sure!

Any info would be greatly appreciated - thanks

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

You can be disqualified for up to 9 weeks but you should make a claim as soon as you leave your job not 9 weeks later.

You'll qualify for the full rate if you earned over €150 per week at class A and worked for most of the year in 2006. Your girlfriend's income won't affect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Have you left your current job yet?
    If not ask them for a letter to say you were laid off (or ask them anyway).
    If you can get the letter well and good, sign on the first day of not working you will also need to sign on with fas they will look for I.D. Bring the letter to say you were laid off and your p45 (you may not get paid until you do). If you don't have the letter they might not pay you for the nine weeks.
    If youv'e worked for the last ten years and paid tax and prsi your entitled to umemployment benifit and that lasts for 360 days ish from the day you signed on. After that you are switched to unemployment assistence and this is means tested so if you g/friend is working they will try to reduce the amount payable also if your not working and on the course see if you can get 'The rent allowance' but you may need to tell 'them' your in a house share and not co-habiting
    Before you go and pay for the course you are starting go talk to fas about money for funding and dont forget to send in your P60 for the last 4 years you'd be surprised how much tax people over pay I put mine in every 2 years and it pays for the holiday

Happy days bud
    and I hope it goes well for you

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

If you leave your job you shopuld be Disallowed for up to 9 weeks after that you should get J.B for 390 days. You will not get rent allowance as your G/F is working. The Gall above told you to say your sharing HOW CAN YOU SHARE A 1 BED APARTMENT!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

sorry missed the bit about the one bed apt :)

Advertisement